College expands study abroad program in Italy

Kailyn Gallagher, Editor-In-Chief

Starting the spring semester of 2016 (hopefully), 15-20 students will have the option to study in Italy for a semester at the Orvieto campus of Saint Anselm College.

Students who partake in this experience will attend classes and take trips to important sites in Italy twice a week, including, but not limited to, Rome, Pompeii, Florence, Assisi, and Monte Casino.

Students will be staying in apartments in the historical center of Orvieto, which will give them the favorable circumstances to be immersed in the cultural offerings of the city.

Orvieto’s central location allows for easy access to most points of interest in Italy, as it is an hour from Rome and an hour and a half from Florence.

The program is building onto an existing six week, summer archaeology program the college already offers in Orvieto.

This summer archaeology dig has been conducted for the past eight summers, in which time Professor David George of the Classics Department has developed strong relationships with members of the academic and political communities in the city who are very supportive of study abroad programs.

Professor George invited Sarah Goolkasian from the Study Abroad office to visit and and determine if Orvieto had the necessary infrastructure to serve as an Italian campus for Saint Anselm College.

Together, they submitted a proposal to President DiSalvo and Br. Isaac Murphy, Vice President for Academic Affairs.

At their June meeting, having studied a favorable business model report, the college’s Board of Trustees encouraged the administration to continue its development of the plan.

After this, President DiSalvo made the trip to Italy to tour the facilities in Orvieto and enthusiastically agreed to pursue with the development with the program.

Currently, the plan is being taken through the appropriate academic processes and review to ensure that the offerings meet the curricular needs of Saint Anselm students.

The city of Orvieto was founded by Etruscans on the top of a volcanic mesa and displays a rich and varied history.

Romans, Goths and Lombards have all left their marks, and during the medieval period, it was an important center of culture and religion, where Thomas Aquinas taught and Popes established residences.

It’s Duomo (main cathedral), one of the most beautiful in all of Italy, contains a spectacular facade, Signorelli’s fresco masterpiece, as well the corporal of the Corpus Christi miracle.

Not only will students have the opportunity to indulge in these cultural marvels, they will also enjoy local specialties, such as Pasqualetti’s gelato and cinghiale, which is wild boar.

Professor George, Professor Linda Rulman or Goolkasian can provide more information about the semester in Italy.