35 students take advantage of new music option, rooms

Nicolette Manzi, Crier Staff

Starting this semester, Saint Anselm College began offering music lessons for course credit, some of which take place in newly renovated music rooms located in the Dana Center.

The lessons offered through this program include flute, piano, guitar and voice, with each lesson being an hour long and taught by one of the college’s music professors.

The new music program offers lessons for a variety of talent levels, from experienced to novice musicians.

For the latter group, the program offers classes such as Class Piano, a four credit course for students with little to no experience with the instrument.

The program is also offering College Choir for credit during this spring semester for the first time.

Professor Sean Parr, head of the new music program, shared that “The courses are two credit courses and allow students to add lessons on top of their class schedule. Thirty five students are currently enrolled in the program and ten are currently taking class piano.”

Parr added that “Along with the new practice rooms, there is also a recording studio for the students.”

Meghan Bartlett is a part of the new music program and expands upon her experience with the program thus far.

“I love the course, it has given me the opportunity to study music and piano, which I haven’t been able to since I was 15,” Bartlett said. “And because it is a college level course, it goes more in depth into music and my teacher touches upon music history and music theory which is exciting since I know so little about either.”

Bartlett added that “The pianos are just beautiful. They have a wonderful sound and are much more fun to practice with than the one I had at home.”

In regards to future of the program, Parr shared that “The hope for this program is to increase the amount of music on campus. If you’re excited about music, think about enrolling in the program; there will be many spots available in the spring and even more for [next] fall.”