Bro. Isaac, Dean Cronin to keep lead academic posts at SAC

Sean Fesko, Crier Staff

President Steven DiSalvo announced Oct. 23 that Bro. Isaac T. Murphy, O.S.B. has been named to the position of vice president of academic affairs (VPAA) for Saint Anselm College, while Mark W. Cronin will be the dean of the college. Both men served in their respective positions for most of the past academic year on an interim basis.

Last year, Dr. DiSalvo announced the appointments on an interim basis with plans for a national search in each case. In addition, the president split the functions of VPAA and dean of the college into two separate jobs following the resignation of Father Augustine Kelly, O.S.B., who had served in the post for more than a decade.

According to a general announcement to the faculty, the college’s Faculty Senate was scheduled to have special meeting on its role in the appointment of a VPAA and dean of the college. The result of that meeting was not available at The Crier’s press time.

The VPAA is responsible for the strategy, research and implementation of new curricula, as well as the investigation of online learning, study abroad and graduate study programs.

According to Bro. Isaac, he is the “chief academic officer of the college. I work closely with the leadership at the college; that is, the president and his cabinet.”

He added, “I also work with an extensive array of faculty and other administrators, both inside and outside academic affairs, including the Dean of the College, the Librarian and the Director of the Chapel Art Center.”

When he was asked to continue in the role permanently, he was extremely happy to accept, noting that “The last year has been great.”

He spent the majority of his interim year preparing for the full integration of this year’s new curriculum, and also laid the groundwork for the study abroad program to Orvieto, Italy, which he hopes to see begin in spring of 2016.

“I was also pleased to reinstate the Father Bernard Holmes senior student award,” he added when listing off his accomplishments.

DiSalvo said that having Bro. Isaac, who holds a Ph.D. degree in politics from the University of Chicago and who served as prior of the monastery, continue as the VP of AA is great for the college.

“He’s done a fine job,” President DiSalvo said of Bro. Isaac’s first year.

When asked why he recommended the permanent appointment, Dr. DiSalvo said “[Bro. Isaac is] a great listener. He has very good relationships with the faculty. And I also felt that it was important to have somebody who fit the institution well, and understands the culture and the mission.”

The college did engage in an external search for candidates; however, the committee could not find any viable candidates.

President DiSalvo said the question was then whether to open another search or “go with the person that’s been doing the job really well.”

Two of the more near-term projects Bro. Isaac will work on are the pilot program for online summer school courses this upcoming summer and opening up a conversation about providing graduate education for students.

Bro. Isaac’s appointment continues the tradition of having one or more members of the Benedictine monastic community in the highest level of college officialdom.

While he is the only monk currently at that level, Bro. Isaac said that “This has more to do with monastery issues regarding retirements or … sabbaticals, than a weakness in policy.”

He added that the monastic community hopes to have more monks working at the college in the next few years, as these issues are resolved.

Mark Cronin, who served as assistant and later associate dean of the college under Father Augustine and who has a Ph.D. degree in English from the University of Delaware, also held his new position on an interim basis.

“The faculty were very enthusiastic about having Cronin as dean,” Dr. DiSalvo shared.

His appointment also includes a seat on the President’s cabinet, which President DiSalvo described as “important … because he will be at the table for all the major decision making we do at the college.”

The decision came after consultation of the Faculty Senate, Abbot Mark Cooper, O.S.B. and the Board of Trustees. Both positions were unanimously approved by the trustess.

After the announcement was made, Dr. DiSalvo received an email from a faculty member that read, “This is wonderful news. I’m very grateful to hear this, as many of us have been hoping for this very outcome. The college is in good hands.”