Blizzard slams New England, Manchester covered by 16.1”

Kailyn Gallagher, Editor-in-Chief

For the Saint Anselm community and many more Tuesday was a day off from classes.

Blizzard Juno had schools cancelling the night before and for public schools in Manchester canceling Tuesday and Wednesday.

On the Hill Top there was 13 inches of accumulated snow by 6 p.m.

According to WMUR, Manchester received a total of 16 inches of accumulated snow.

The estimation given by weather.com winter weather advisory for the Hillsborough County area was a total of 18-24 inches for Tuesday.

While the storm did not reach the expected amount the Spring Break Alternative (SBA) Haiti members chose to seize the moment and use the snow as a fundraising opportunity.

They offered to shovel out and clean off student’s cars for five dollars until Thursday.

Other students took this day to cross tray sledding off of their college bucket list.

They borrowed meal trays from Davison hall and went sledding down the many hills on campus.

Members of the grounds crew were asked to tell all that they do when the inevitable New England weather hits, but they chose to decline.

Despite their inability to comment, their hard work and effort to keep the campus safe and accessible is greatly appreciated.

Safe up on the Hill Top Anselmians got to enjoy the day off while in places that many here call home had a different experience.

The highest recorded amount of snow for Connecticut was 33.5 inches in Thompson, Maine recorded 27.4 inches near Portland, and Massachusetts reported 36 inches in Lunengurg. Down in Nantucket there was also wind gusts of up to 78 miles per hour.

Though the storm is over, the cold weather will persist.

So don’t put those extra layers away because according to Weather.com the climate predictions for Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and most of New York have a 90 percent probability of seeing temperatures below average for this time of year.