Prof. Lupo, Haley Mount ’15 receive social justice award

Nicolette Manzi, Crier Staff

Professor Jonathan Lupo and senior Haley Mount have been awarded the second annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Social Justice Awards,

Professor Lupo was awarded for his diligent work on campus with the Core Council for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Questioning Students and their Allies in order to promote an outlet for students.

Lupo explains his current work within his communication classes that work to help the community.

“I’m currently involved in a task force on broadening civic engagement at the College and participating in an upcoming panel discussion on student retention,” Lupo explained. “Since I’ve been at Saint Anselm College, I’ve also been the faculty representative to the Core Council for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Questioning Students and their Allies. Both my teaching and research emphasize the politics of media representation of gender and sexuality.”

Lupo was nominated for this award by Professor Dianna Gahlsdorf Terrell

“Dr. Jon Lupo is an ambitious and thoughtful leader on the campus and works well with students and faculty alike,” Terrell shared. “He has led a faculty talk on his research in Communications, has supervised the Core Council for Gay and Lesbian Students on campus. I like to think that Dr. Lupo, and his very presence on campus and in a leadership role, has done more for this campus than the campus has done for Jon.”

Lupo comments on what it has felt like to receive such a prestigious award and to have such great support of faculty and students.

“I am very humbled by this honor, and grateful to be a small part of a community committed to service and social justice,” Lupo shared. “I am continually inspired by students, faculty, and staff who – in big ways and small – enact their faith and their humanity.”

The other recipient of this award, Haley Mount, has also given a great deal back to her community.

Working with Core Council and being a board member on the Food Clothing and Furniture Drive, Mount as worked continuously to help her community here on campus and at large.

“I have participated in three service and solidarity trips going to West Virginia, Phoenix Arizona and Costa Rica,” Mount stated. “I have also lead a Service & Solidarity trip to Manchester and will be leading one to South Dakota this spring break.”

On one site in particular was where Haley was able to find her true passion of helping others.

“During my trip to Phoenix Arizona I fell in love with my site which was the Andre House of Hospitality, a place where hundreds of members of the homeless population in Phoenix go to receive food, showers, clothing and other services; I went back for 6 weeks in the summer of 2013,”said Mount.

Haley commented on her feelings behind receiving this award.

“Receiving the award means a lot to me,” Mount shared. “Personally, it motivates me to continue keeping social justice as a focus point of my life. With being a senior and trying to figure out what to do next, this award helps me remember that whatever I do, it should be something that helps others and works towards justice for all.”