Karen Frederick: sociology a “way to have a career and pursue social justice”

Mae Hunt, Crier Staff

Professor Karen Frederick is retiring from her post as a Sociology Professor at Saint Anselm College this spring; after thirty one years of teaching, this current semester will be her final.

Frederick teaches a variety of Sociology courses at Saint Anselm College, though admits that Introduction to Sociology has always been her favorite.

She explained how it “gives students a perspective that typically they haven’t had.” The students “see how the larger forces of society impact their everyday life.”

Frederick is revered and respected amongst both the students and faculty of our college. Professor MacDonald, who has been working with Frederick in the Sociology Department for thirty years, had only positive remarks regarding his co-worker.

When he thinks of her contribution, “the first thing that comes to mind is her extraordinary devotion to teaching and to the students, the many hours she spent working with students in her office and patiently guiding them in their work.”

He adds that “she was an outstanding chair of the Sociology Department for many years” and “has been most generous in her support and counsel to me as her successor as department chair.”

Similarly, freshman Courtney Roderick, who had Professor Frederick for both Introduction to Sociology and Society and the Individual, described her professor in a favorable light.

Roderick said that “she is very good at interacting with the students and engaging everyone in class discussions.” Additionally, she affirmed to have thoroughly enjoyed both classes taken with Frederick.

Prior to Saint Anselm College, Frederick worked at Brandeis University as a research associate. Following that, she took time off from her career to be at home with her children. In 1984, she came to our college and has been here ever since.

As a college student in the 1960’s, Frederick explained how sociology was extremely relevant within her life due to the gender stereotypes that were then prevalent. For, the focus on social justice was very strong and entering the field of Sociology gave her “a way to pursue social justice and have a career at the same time.”

When asked about her impending retirement, she replied, “It’s bitter sweet.” She continued, “I’m very happy to have the honor and pleasure of teaching all this time…and I will miss being here. I see it as moving on rather than closing down.”

Furthermore, this will not be the end of Sociology for Frederick. She hopes to “get involved in some volunteer activities that are social justice kinds of things regarding issues of race, age and gender.”

Sociology is an inexorable part of every day life and Frederick’s fascination with people and their interactions will not conclude with her time here at Saint Anselm.