Multicultural Center encourages campus dialogue on bigoted Yik-Yaks

Teresa Samson, Crier Staff

This year, social media app Yik Yak has provided a chance for people across the nation to speak their mind without fearing judgment, rejection, or embarrassment.

A spectrum of reactions results from this opportunity for anonymous interaction – posts on Yik Yak have incited laughter and provided comfort, while simultaneously producing tears and a sense of marginality.

Students at Saint Anselm College have witnessed just that. While the app has successfully entertained, updated, and provided an outlet for users, its anonymity has enabled an extensive amount of negativity to prevail on campus.

The response to the 2014 shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri was a particular catalyst to heated discussions on Yik Yak.

The Multicultural Center’s “Die In” in the campus dining halls had the feed teeming with marginalizing and hurtful comments directed toward the minorities on campus, ultimately calling for a discussion, “Yakking Away,” led by Sophomore Nyatan Bol on 25 February to address the “damaging effects of racist comments” on the student body.

Recognizing the potential for the social media site to be “a tool to connect the student body,” she reflected on the transformation of its use.

“I am disturbed at the direction it has taken, and how individual students as well as groups of students have been targeteg,” Bol shared. “When people make comments that single out for example the ‘black kids’ on this campus, it has an alienating affect. At the end of the day, we are all Anselmians and must be treated with respect.”

This view was the general consensus of the talk. Patrick Hollister (’17) expanded, emphasizing that while everyone has a right to his or her opinion, “that right is taken away when you disrespect others.”

The gathering welcomed a variety of students to establish a safe, respectful environment for self-expression and reflection. Students agreed that users have abused the chance to openly and anonymously post their feelings

Student body president, David McKillop (’15) finds the app to be absurd. He commented: “Yik Yak is a chance for people to joke together, but people don’t acknowledge that there is a line for humor, and they cross it too often.”

However, most students concur that the prevalence of malicious Yaks are not representative of the community. Ellis Boettger (’15) even sees the site as a good representation of the college.

Consider the amount of support that surfaced when one student expressed suicidal thoughts: people posted personal information (using names and giving contact information is prohibited on the site) and loving messages to discourage a fatal event.

Generally, Boettger notices only positive response to posts from depressed, worried, or questioning individuals who seek help.

Sophomore Jada Burke agrees that the hurtful Yik Yak posts do not speak for the community, but that they do reveal a level of ignorance of other cultures, beliefs, and feelings. In addition, Burke believes the use of Yik Yak has made it difficult to trust and create new relationships with people.

She explains, “Yes, it would be beneficial for MCC students to branch out, but what we see on Yik Yak makes that seem unlikely to succeed. I’ll never know what someone is truly thinking, so I’ll never feel totally comfortable.”

For students of cultural, religious, or gender minority, places of acceptance for self-expression appear limited on campus. This resistance to welcome diversity contradicts our Catholic tradition and Anselmian identity.

College, as Burke noted, is a place to learn and experience new things; students should not be inhibited from achieving this on a simple social media app.

Anonymity, the ability to publicly scorn without facing consequences, drives the negativity on Yik Yak; many find conflict that users would not post hateful words if names were linked to each post.

Patrick Hollister suggested that the nature of nameless conversation on Yik Yak illustrates a resistance to maturity, as he explained that “[The app] is an easy outlet because as we grow up, we are held more accountable for our actions. What people misunderstand is that you are accountable for everything you post on Yik Yak because it affects your moral character.”

Yemi Mahoney of the Multicultural Center mentioned the superficiality of antagonistic comments; she sees them primarily as instigators.

“I don’t really think [people] are interested in having real, meaningful conversations about issues,” Mahoney explained. “They’re just trying to be inflammatory.”

Burke spoke on behalf of the Multicultural Center, explaining that the “Die In” protest did not serve to offend anyone, but to defend. Students at Saint Anselm College may not recognize the feelings of inferiority carried by students of minority. “We are here, and we do matter,” Burke said.

Having identified the problem, individuals affected by negative posts intend to act toward change. Encouraging open dialogue about reactions, raising awareness, and having more events to integrate groups are among many ideas to reduce marginality.

Hollister hopes to see the administration approach the Inclusion Act (does not discriminate against race, religion, gender, etc) as an active plan, rather than a buffer.

“They shouldn’t hide behind it,” Hollister stated. “Inform. Increase awareness that this behavior isn’t Anselmian.”

Bol agrees that more “proactive and decisive” action is necessary. As demonstrated by the Yik Yak situation, all talk without holding responsibility is not effective for change, but for worsening the issue.

As a Catholic school, Saint Anselm College promotes hospitality and love for each member of the community. With inclusivity as a pillar of the Benedictine tradition, diversity should, ideally, become a more familiar concept to all.

“Anselmians have respect for others, even when their opinions differ. They take pride in their community and protect its people,” says Mahoney.

The sense of family, so frequently identified on campus, is what underlies the success of the college and happiness of the students.