MA legalizes recreational pot … and what does that mean for Saint A’s?

Flickr\Matthew Kenwrick

Marijuana, pictured above, has potentially negative health effects, such as slowing one’s motor skills.

Lauren Batchelder, Crier Staff

The legalization of recreational marijuana was voted in favor by the state of Massachusetts during the Nov. 8 election. People throughout the Bay State will begin to see the new law take effect shortly. Per the state government website, starting on Dec. 15, anyone who is twenty -one years or older will be able to possess up to an ounce of marijuana or give up to an ounce to someone as a gift. Individuals will also be able to have up to ten ounces in their primary residence. It is also allowed to have six plants in a home per person and 12 plants total per home. However, based on the ballot measure passed, no marijuana buying or selling transactions among individuals will be legal.

Compared to all the other ballot measures in the state, this one was particularly controversial. Many consider it to be the first step towards becoming a drug addict, with top conservatives like Chris Christie calling it a “gateway drug” earlier this year. Marijuana has potentially negative health benefits because ingesting cannabis slows the motor skills and reaction time, can sometimes cause paranoia and mood swings, fatigue and increased appetite, while under its effect.

The question about marijuana isn’t just about the morality of the drug, it is also an economic one. Per Time Magazine, the State of Colorado made $70 million in tax revenues from marijuana in 2015. Most states could only positively benefit economically by legalizing marijuana. According to Harvard University economist Jeffrey Miron, if every state legalized recreational use of marijuana, the marijuana market would be worth 14 Billion. Massachusetts voters had to decide whether the pros outweighed the cons.

Since the controversial ballot measure was passed with 53.6% of the votes, the reaction has been relatively mixed. In 2014, the Catholic Church strongly came out against the legalization of Marijuana with Pope Francis arguing that legalizing marijuana wasn’t a way to get serious drug users to stop their addiction, “Let me state this in the clearest terms possible,” he said. “The problem of drug use is not solved with drugs!”

However, many people don’t necessarily agree with such conservative views on the matter. According to Matthew Thacher ’18 Massachusetts Native, “A major problem with [marijuana] being illegal is the negative stigma associated with it but that is fading as time passes. More and more people are enjoying this herb. To me, it’s not a drug. I believe that all cannabis is medicinal (even when it is bought for recreational purposes) because it helps people relax much like enjoying a glass of wine or tea would.” He went on to describe some of the medicinal benefits, sharing that he is a medical marijuana patient in the state of Massachusetts, “I believe it should be legalized nationally and actually educate our youth on the plant the same way we educate them about alcohol.”

Meanwhile, Cam Lapine ’19 had a different view on the matter. He is a supporter of medical marijuana, saying that he didn’t vote in Massachusetts to legalize the recreational use of marijuana. However, he stated that “recreational marijuana is a major part of the history of this country and that one day we as a country will look back at the stigma on weed in a negative manner.”

Medical Marijuana use is legal in every New England State but New Hampshire. Massachusetts and Maine have also legalized recreational use of marijuana.

Now that some form of Marijuana use is now legal in every state in New England except New Hampshire many residents of the granite state are becoming more supportive of potential legalization.

Drew Collins, a sophomore said “I’m all for legalizing marijuana in New Hampshire, but only because several other places have done it. When I look at some places in Colorado and Washington, they have total weed culture now, and that’s not something I want for NH. But now that we wouldn’t be attracting potheads from everywhere else, I’m all for it!

For others, the legalization of marijuana here would be a personal thing. New Hampshire native Lauren Decloux says ‘Legalizing weed in New Hampshire is something I’m pretty passionate about because it saved my cousin’s best friend from being paralyzed. He made a full recovery on strictly CBD (the healing part of the plant) after he was essentially being snapped in two by an 18-wheeler. The Doctor said he wouldn’t walk again. He woke up from an induced coma and after being placed in the medical marijuana program he made a full recovery.”

With many states becoming more in favor of legalizing marijuana some students wondered if New Hampshire will soon follow suit. Although the vote in Massachusetts is extremely controversial for some, many residents are excited and ready to sell a plant which has many proven health and economic benefits. While the moral question of allowing United States citizens to legally use recreational drugs is still being questioned, only time will tell as to how successful marijuana in Massachusetts will be.