Neil Levesque discusses the issue of voter fraud in New Hampshire

Courtesy\Cory True

Executive Director of NHIOP Neil Levesque.

Griffin Clark, Crier Staff

Since his election, President Donald Trump has repeatedly made the claim that in addition to winning the Electoral College, he also won the popular vote. According to election results, his opponent Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by almost three million votes.

President Trump’s discussed this in his first interview as president with ABC’s David Muir that aired on January 25th. Trump said, “If you look at dead people who are registered to vote that vote, if you look at people that are registered in two states, if you look at all these different things that are happening with registration… we’re going to do an investigation on it.”

Many critics of President Trump say that he has no factual evidence to back up his claim. A New York Times article published on January 27th cited members of Trump’s family and staff registered in two states. Steve Bannon, Tiffany Trump, Sean Spicer, Jared Kushner, and Steven Mnuchin are all registered to vote in two states.

During an interview with White House Senior Advisor, Stephen Miller, on February 12th, was asked for voter fraud evidence from George Stephanopoulos of ABC News. “President Trump again this week suggested in a meeting with senators that thousands of illegal voters were bused from Massachusetts to New Hampshire and that’s what caused his defeat in the state of New Hampshire, also the defeat of Senator Kelly Ayotte… Do you have that evidence,” asked Stephanopoulos.

Miller responded, “I can tell you that this issue of busing voters into New Hampshire is widely known… But I can tell you this; voter fraud is a serious problem in this country. You have mil-lions of people who are registered in two states or who are dead who are registered to vote.”

ABC news reported that George Stephanopoulos responded, “For the record, you have provided zero evidence that the president was the victim of massive voter fraud in New Hampshire. You provided zero evidence.”

An article in the Union Leader published on February 13th addressed the voter fraud issue. It explained that on Election Day in the state of New Hampshire, 1,423 people voted without a photo ID. In addition, 6,033 people who voted without proof of NH domicile. One explanation of this could be college students for example. Many students come from out of state and vote in NH due to being away from their home.

In order to vote in NH without proof of domicile, voters must sign an affidavit attesting to their address. After this, a postcard will be sent to them at their address to be sent back to confirm their address. Unfortunately, unverified affidavits have not been checked by the Attorney General of NH since the 2012 election. According to the AG office, this is because there is insufficient staffing to perform these investigations. There are currently 4,000 unverified affidavits’ that have yet to be verified.

The Executive Director of NHIOP, Neil Levesque, spoke about the voter fraud conflict within the NH government. “The Attorney General of NH has never found significant voter fraud; however, it was disclosed that the AG hasn’t particularly investigated voter fraud because there isn’t the staffing for it. There have always been rumors of people being bused up. Keep in mind that people with MA driver’s license plates and MA driver’s licenses do drive to NH polls to vote but they do so legally if they are domiciled in the state of NH,” said Levesque.

He continued, “What [Governor Sununu] is saying is we need to clarify and get rid of some of this gray area. You can’t say there is no fraud as a law enforcement agency if you haven’t investigated any fraud because you don’t have the staffing for it.”

In a statement made to WMUR on February 12th, Governor Sununu said, “Our voter laws are very loose here. There’s no doubt about that, and as the first-in-the-nation, we have to be sure we are doing everything we can to have integrity within our system. So, I know the legislature is looking at language in a variety of different ways just to firm up the definitions of residency and domicile just to take some of the gray areas out, just to explore some of the concerns.”

In New Hampshire during the election, Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by 2,736. Maggie Hassan won by 1,017 votes. If the unverified affidavits were in fact out of state citizens voting illegally, their votes could’ve impacted the election results in The Granite State.

Massive extent of voter fraud seems unlikely. However, in states like New Hampshire, small cases of voter fraud could influence tight political races.