Spiritual guru takes a faith-based approach to the 2020 presidential election

Janelle Fassi, Crier Staff

Looking forward to the 2020 presidential election, Democrat Marianne Williamson labels herself as an underdog. Williamson is the host of the Ultimate Health Podcast and a New York Times bestselling author. She accepts she is not part of the typical political establishment but sees this fact as a strength.

Williamson gained name recognition in 1992, when she first appeared on the Oprah Winfrey Show to discuss her book, “A Return to Love.” Ever since, she has been on Oprah’s “Super Soul Sunday,” to teach audiences how to embrace love in the face of God.

While she is not in government, Williamson believes the president should ultimately be “someone who knows how we [as Americans] work, not how Washington works.”

Williamson led a town hall-style discussion on Feb 18 at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics. Among her campaign promises, Williamson gave three solutions to the current political system: “economic opportunities for women, educational opportunities for children, and ameliorate [improve] human suffering.”

Williamson’s example of human suffering is the Saudi Prince’s war on on Yemen, a war the United Nations refers to as the “world’s worst humanitarian crisis. Since 2015, Prince Mohammed bin Salman has led countless airstrikes and bombs that leave orphaned children and bloodied civilians on the frontlines.

Under President Trump’s administration, she says the United States has sacrificed its moral leadership, and the only way to fix it is for an ultimate pattern disruption. She says, the current political system has infantilized the American people due to the presence of multinational conglomerates. In the face of crises, conglomerates have acted as “false gods.” She states, the current administration’s culture of authoritarian corporatism finds democracy inconvenient to its financial purposes, preventing the previous generation’s advancement of child labor and anti-trust laws.

The only way to rid the country’s climate? America needs to face its character defects: racism and militarism (the United States military industrial complex).

Williamson says, one way to address racism is to pay a plan of reparations for slavery.

Instead of the corporate culture’s financial aim, Williamson says it is possible to harness love for political purposes. However, she believes the only way to get this type of political movement is for Democrats to take both the Congress and Senate.

While she doesn’t have the political experience of her counterparts, she says she “understand[s] both worlds,” as her father was raised in poverty and her mother was raised upper middle class.

However, having the typical politician is not going to fix what she refers to is a “broken system.”

She says, what we need is “a visionary [and] not a political mechanic.”

Williamson hopes to be that visionary, with equal parts fierce leadership and spiritual healing, giving the United States the spiritual and moral awakening it needs.

The start of that healing process consists of five things: a $15 minimum wage, universal healthcare, extending payment loans for college students, and holding Big Pharma accountable for being the “biggest drug dealer in America.” Something she believes deserves criminal prosecution.

While none of the criteria have been established before, having the same mindset coming in won’t take us out.

The most important values of Williamson’s campaign is spiritual healing and love, which isn’t the typical candidate’s campaign strategy.

Williamson knows she isn’t the frontrunner, but refuses to replace her moral values for popularity because “living a meaningful life is not a popularity contest.”