Student RAs maintain fear of staff shortage

Courtesy/Jill Dorazio

As students start to apply to become RAs, they reflect on what it means to be Anselmian

Anna Raley, News Editor

In fostering an “Aneselmian” environment on campus, resident assistants tirelessly work towards the objective of campus hospitality. However, the decline in student staff has resulted in imminent stress and anxiety for all students who uphold this on-campus role.

Successive to the article published last issue: “ResLife denies staffing shortages, RA’s say otherwise” the Saint Anselm Crier aims in furthering its mission to determine why there has been a significant decline in student staff, and what Residential Life plans to do about it. 

When contacted, residential life administration failed to comment, however, an anonymous RA 7was able to provide her personal intel on her experiences as an RA. 

The current RA confirmed that, from her perspective, there has been an issue with staffing shortages for the present school year due to the fact that there have been students leaving the position last semester resulting in the necessary movement of where each RA is staffed on campus. The anonymous voice stated, “It has been stressful for everyone, wondering if we’ll be the next one to be moved or picking up the slack from open positions that we can’t fill this late in the year. When this semester started, duty areas changed to make up for missing people, and a few RAs were given more residents or given an entirely new set of residents.” The anonymous RA emphasized her distress explaining, “The RAs have to try to form relationships with their new residents, and the residents have lost the RA that they knew and may have trusted with issues and now have to go to someone they likely don’t know as well if they need something. Our duty schedules and the areas we are on duty have also changed to fill in the gaps, which is stressful because now many of us are having to do duty in a building we don’t know and may not be comfortable in.”

In the information packet provided to any student that applies to be an RA, the purpose is stated as “paraprofessional staff members” who are “ethical campus leaders.” The role continues its demands stating that the RA “assists in articulating the College’s and department’s missions, philosophies, and policies for students. The RAs represent the College and act as role models for students.” These responsibilities are expected of any campus leader, however, the nature of the residential assistant role holds more commitment than other jobs provided on campus. 

An anonymous applicant for the RA position provided details into her experience applying for this weighty position. The applicant chose to apply to be an RA with financial motives, She said that the promise of free room and board is greatly appealing and with three siblings at home, not having to take out any student loans will aid her and her family significantly.

As a whole, the process of applying has been easy according to her. The anonymous source went into detail about her piriminary team building experience. “I was assigned a group process day where I went to NHIOP and did some team building and general RA practice scenarios. I went into it thinking it would be horrible, but honestly, it wasn’t that bad at all and I think it really brought my team and I closer together. I did find it rather intimidating that many members of the professional and student staff at this event were watching us closely throughout each activity, but aside from that it really was a productive and successful three hours.” 

However, there were some downsides to the process as well. The applicant described how her entire rooming situation involving who she lives with and where is reliant upon whether or not she gets the position. She explained her frustration that the application process occurs right before the housing lottery, but has hopes that everything will work out in her favor. 

The source also went into detail on specifically how she has to abandon prior passions and obligations. “The most difficult part of this application process has definitely been coming to terms with the fact that I will have to give up certain things that I am a part of on-campus in order to fulfill this role. There is a rule that you cannot be a Transitions Mentor, Orientation Leader, or RA at the same time, so for those of us who are involved in those other programs, it’s really hard to let go of the family we have made in one organization to then go and join ResLife.” In addition to having to let go of the friends that the applicant made in her former organizations, she has also expressed her hesitations rooted in the negative reputation of ResLife. “Generally, ResLife has had a pretty bad reputation, especially after the Title IX incident from last year and the other events that have ensued since. Given these incidents, I am skeptical about joining the ResLife staff.” These sentiments, shared by the applicant, hold an extent of correlation to the words of many students who share their disdain and distrust of the Residential Life administration.

Progression from this point forward would take form in a change within the ResLife office. The anonymous current RA stated this, “If I could change one thing about the way ResLife operates, it would be making decisions more transparent. Most of the time, we are told what is going on or what decision has been made, but we are rarely, if ever, given any reason behind the decisions, and sometimes find out about changes from other staff, rather than our supervisors.” With this, there is only room for positive change amongst the RA staff.