Humanities Institute annoucnes new, full-tuition scholarship

Greg Grappone was a strong advocate of the humanities and Liberal Arts. (Courtesy / Saint Anselm College)

Kathryn Williams, Editor in Chief

The Gregory Grappone ’04 Humanities Institute announced a new student fellowship for rising juniors and seniors with a love for the humanities.

The fellowship will be awarded to one student who will work at the institute and receive a full tuition scholarship for the 2023-24 academic year. “As the Grappone Fellow, the student will provide a designated number of hours in serving the Institute in an ambassadorial and programming support role,” wrote Professor Gary Bouchard,Executive Director of the Gregory J. Grappone, ’04 Humanities Institute, in an email to the college. 

Members of the classes of 2024 and 2025 who are interested in the fellowship can begin by entering an essay contest. The prompt for the essay is “Based on what you have learned in and out of the classroom at Saint Anselm College, and in your life more broadly, compose an essay of between 700 and 1,000 words in which you describe what you understand to be ‘the pursuit of happiness.’” Essays should be submitted via email to [email protected] by May 15. 

A selection committee composed of faculty and administrators will evaluate the essays, as well as each applicant’s academic and service records, to determine a list of finalists. Those who are chosen as finalists will attend an interview with the selection committee to assist their decision. 

“The latest act of generosity by Mr. and Mrs. Grappone means that one student will be provided full tuition and fees to represent the humanities and vision that Greg Grappone’s life and passing have inspired at Saint Anselm,” said Professor Bouchard. 

The timeline of this new fellowship is aligned with the ongoing renovation of the Humanities Institute building behind Alumni Hall. Renovations began last summer after the groundbreaking ceremony on June 29, 2022. Construction will be completed in time for the dedication of the Institute’s new home on July 28, 2023, almost exactly one year and one month after the groundbreaking. “When students arrive on campus for the fall semester they will be greeted by a beautiful new Humanities Institute in the transformed historic old boiler house. The interior and exterior of this building is going to provide space for gathering and conversations and learning of all kinds,” said Professor Bouchard.

On this occasion the Grappone Fellow for the 2023-24 academic year will be announced. “We are thrilled, and look forward to announcing the first Grappone scholar on July 28th when we gather with the Grappone family to cut the ribbon on our new home,” he continued.

Greg Grappone graduated from Saint Anselm College in 2004 with a degree in Great Books. He was deeply invested in the wonders that humanities has to offer. He left an important legacy of curiosity and a love of learning that has inspired so many to become involved in this exciting new chapter of Saint Anselm academics. 

“We join Dr. Favazza and the entire Saint Anselm community in expressing our deepest gratitude to Bob and Bev Grappone for making this extraordinary opportunity available to our students and fostering the mission of the Gregory J. Grappone, ’04 Humanities Institute,” wrote Bouchard. 

Along with efforts such as the Big Thought Series and Come Friday Forums, the new Grappone Fellowship is part of the important work to keep Greg’s spirit alive in the community for generations to come.

Humanities Institute set to be up and running by fall 2024; several projects and events in the works ahead of the grand opening. (Courtesy / Physical Plant)