Nikki Haley reveals economic plan at NHIOP before second debate

Courtesy/Kim Casey
Nikki Haley reveals economic plan at NHIOP before second GOP debate

The New Hampshire Institute of Politics’ auditorium was full enough at 10:15 AM, when former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley took the stage, that some two dozen attendees were left standing. She was introduced by Neil Levesque, who referred to Haley’s South Carolina as the “beast of the southeast,” an epitaph that would be repeated by Haley. She began her speech on the topic of China. From the gate, Haley said Communist China is an “existential threat” to America. Their military is equal, or in some ways “superior” to the US armed forces. However, America has a secret weapon. “Freedom is our secret weapon.” Her speech would make clear that it is economic freedom, especially, that distinguishes America from China as it distinguished the United States from the Soviet Union

After laying out the threat of China, Haley moved on to the body of her speech, the economy. She harshly criticized Bidenomics, saying that it represents a “government subsidy economy and that Biden is “swapping freedom for socialism.” On inflation, “Joe Biden’s spending binge is to blame.” Governor Haley also threw some shots, though not by name, at Republicans like Josh Hawley and Vivek Ramaswamy, referring to their proposed industrial policy as “socialism-lite.” Finally, Haley announced her “Freedom Plan,” a series of policy proposals designed to jumpstart the American economy. 

To address middle-class tax cuts, a position many Republicans try to capitalize on, Haley wants to eliminate the federal gas tax, cut middle-class income taxes, simplify the tax code, and make the 2017 tax cuts permanent. Haley also wants to severely stop big-government spending to reduce the deficit. She promised to veto any budget that did not return to pre-Covid (2019) spending levels. She supports a restrained monetary policy and eliminating earmarks/pork. Most importantly, Haley broached the topic of entitlement reform, something that Trump has repeatedly criticized his primary opponents about. Haley would reduce benefits for high-income earners (those who put the most into social security) and raise the retirement age for those currently over forty. Additionally, Haley would create a rule limiting federal bureaucrats from holding the same position for more than five years and would force Congress to vote on regulatory concerns now decided by federal agencies.

After Haley concluded, the crowd politely clapped. They seemed more satisfied than passionate, and few took up the Haley team lawn sign handouts. A large group did surround the former governor and United Nations Ambassador to talk and take pictures. Reflecting on the event afterward, Mike McLoughlin, Class of 2025, noted that Haley’s promise to eliminate federal gas taxes was enticing. He has been feeling the financial burden from the trips from campus to home. Another student in attendance, James Maloney, Class of 2024, was perturbed by the prospect of a raised retirement age for young workers. He said “I want to retire young. I want to live on an island and drink a mojito.” He sees Haley’s plan as a potential threat to that dream.

The NHIOP has maintained its place as a heart of American politics and the First in the Nation Primary this semester. Former Vice President Mike Pence and Senator Tim Scott have both made significant policy speeches in the NHIOP auditorium, while Larry Elder (a talk-show host and Republican presidential candidate) and Marianne Williamson (a self-help guru and Democratic candidate) are planning events at the NHIOP in the coming weeks.

Republican candidates, including Haley, are gearing up for the second Republican debate, which will take place on September 27. Once again, former President Donald Trump, will not be participating in the debate. Trump continues to lead the GOP field by a large margin and is leading significantly in every early voting and caucusing state, including New Hampshire. Haley and the other candidates will look to make up ground in the second debate, as Trump continues to fight several legal battles.