The student news site of Saint Anselm College

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

Marianne Williamson wants the American people ‘around the curve’

Courtesy/Kim Casey
Marianne Williamson, one of two Democrats running against Biden.

Marianne Williamson, 2024 Presidential Candidate, visited Saint Anselm College for an informal conversation at the “Politics and Pizza” event hosted by the NHIOP. Seeking the Democratic nomination for President, Williamson arrived on Oct. 4 to kick-off her campaign and speak to the students of Saint Anselm about her plans as a candidate. Williamson spoke with The Crier about her position in the campaign for her nomination. 

Williamson, political activist, author, non-denominational spiritual leader, and New York Times best-selling author arrived at Saint Anselm College to discuss her political views with the students and introduce her plans for her candidacy. With a career in political activity since the 1980s, she ran for the Democratic nomination for the 2020 presidential election, and is now challenging the candidacies of President Biden and Cenk Uygur. 

Williamson began her presentation with gratitude, giving some thanks for the opportunity of being able to freely discuss politics in the forum that Saint Anselm provides. She then dives into an in depth discussion of the American national identity and purpose, quoting the Declaration of Independence, giving a basis for her mission in the conversation. 

Her concerns covered multitudes of issues, ranging from college tuition, universal health care, gun control, climate change, and employee health benefits. To the issues that Williamson touched upon referring to the United States government system and in her 40 year career, Williamson said that she has learned that “The American people are not the problem.” Regardless of who is in office and their political party affiliation, any and all issues that the citizens of this country face, Williamson takes the blame off of them. 

Williamson did not shy away from the things she sees as flaws in the country, from an economic standpoint and an ethical standpoint. She made it overtly clear that her number one priority is the people and maintaining their role in this democracy. Her passion in her speech prompted a sincere statement, saying “I believe with all my heart I could get us around the curve.” 

Students of all grade levels, majors, and political beliefs attended the event, and there were inevitable differences in how they perceived Williamson’s presentation. Ellie Duffin ‘25 said “I think it is very interesting how she is going against the norms of her own party by running against the sitting president.” An appropriate insight from Duffin, given the potential damage that could result from an intra-party challenge in the election. 

Following that statement, Duffin told The Crier that from Williamson’s speech, she “thought it was striking, the sense of urgency she had for the next generation-which definitely resonates with young people who are worried about climate change.” Urgency is a fitting description for the vigor in which Williamson spoke, and can definitely grab people’s attention, particularly the younger generation who expresses concern for the topics discussed by her. 

Williamson’s urgency and passion was noted by another student. Grace Tierney ‘24 said she “enjoyed her passion! I felt as though she cared for us as students.” Williamson’s speech evidently touched some spectators, and Tierney said “Her speaking and presenting skills really portrayed this.” Not knowing much about Williamson before the event, Tierney said “this helped me understand her and her points a little better.”

Robert Petrino ‘24 said that “She came across as very sincere, which is a great quality for a political speaker.” Political success doesn’t just come from what is said, but goes hand in hand with the way it is presented. 

A different take on the speech comes from Samuel Lamontagne ‘24, who said “I find it to be naive. A lot of her goals aren’t doable.” Though Williamson made excellent points in her speech, it can be challenging to execute them in reality, which can be true for many candidates. 

The speech’s conclusion was followed by a one-on-one meeting with Williamson, where she spoke with The Crier regarding her future in the nomination process. Before RFK Jr. entered his candidacy as an Independent, the question of being the only democratic candidate did not seem to have much effect on her. Williamson said “My position in all this is the same, regardless of who else is running. I’m offering to the American people the agenda for a fundamental economic reform.” 

Her agenda appears to be in the best interest of the American people, and thus includes college students. Speaking at a college prompted her to say that she is “honored to have the opportunity to share with young people an agenda that I believe is best for the country…best for them.” Her faith in the country’s youth is not unnoticed, as she shared “My impression is that young people don’t need to be encouraged to vote by me or by anyone. Young people are voting for their lives.” 

Williamson continues to campaign for the Democratic nomination, and her presence at the NHIOP is an important step for her campaign. Regardless of political beliefs and affiliations, Williamson undoubtedly presented with a deep sense of urgency during her visit to Saint Anselm.