Meet Fr. George Rumley O.S.B., newest deacon at the Abbey

Courtesy/Kathryn Williams
Fr. George Rumley O.S.B. was ordained a deacon by Bishop Peter Libasci.

Father George Rumley, O.S.B. was ordained to the diaconate on Wednesday, Oct. 18, the feast of Saint Luke. He was ordained by The Most Reverend Peter A. Libasci, Bishop of Manchester

“Our Benedictine Community is very pleased to be celebrating with Br. George and his family and friends this momentous step of ordination to the diaconate,” said Abbot Mark Cooper, O.S.B.

Growing up in the Quaker tradition in Belmont, North Carolina, Fr. George was received into the Church in April 2009.

Fr. George was ordained a monk in 2014. He transferred to the Abbey from Mary, Help of Christians Abbey in Belmont, North Carolina. He began a probationary period in 2021 and his petition to transfer his vow of stability to Saint Anselm Abbey was accepted by the monastic chapter on Aug. 23, 2023. He hopes to be ordained to the priesthood this spring.

“On his path toward priesthood, to be ordained deacon is to enter into a position of service to the Church and to the whole people of God. Br. George has a very generous spirit about him, and we in his Community know he will fulfill his new role with humility, dedication, and a genuine concern for those who request his assistance,” said Abbot Mark. 

Currently, Br. George works as a Conversatio professor and as a spiritual director and wedding coordinator for alumni though the Office of Campus Ministry.

Fr. George presented with book. (Courtesy/Kathryn Williams)
The Bishop lays hands on Fr. George. (Courtesy/Kathryn Williams )