The student news site of Saint Anselm College

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

Aaron Tolson Institute of Dance to set toes tapping on campus

Courtesy/Saint Anselm College
Dancing Institute is set to hold events, such as summer camps, year round

Dance on the Hilltop has been a tradition of recent Saint Anselm history. The dance team and club light up the stage every April for their annual showcase. The Abbey Players perform musicals every year and the Multicultural Center has held salsa dancing lessons over the past few years. However, for those that want to become “dancing queens,” very few opportunities have arisen for dance instruction and study. Until now.

A few weeks ago, Dr. Favazza and college administration announced a new opportunity for students that “can’t stop the feeling” through the creation of the Aaron Tolson Institute of Dance. Integrating itself into the fine arts program, the Institute will start up in December and bring dance intensives, workshops, and student performances to the Hilltop next semester.

The Institute will bring significant interest from the dancing world to Saint Anselm College. The Institute will allow clubs like the dance team to have an opportunity to compete nationally and will bring high school students and area dancers to the college for workshops., In addition to its work on intensives, the Tolson Institute has also proposed a major and minor in dance. Although not fully approved, there is significant hope that the program will become an academic addition to the college community too.

Prof. Sean Parr, professor of music, has been involved in the academic side of the Institute. Parr noted how excited the fine arts department is for the Institute to begin its work. “I think there’s been a gap in our offerings at the campus for dance for a long time. I think it’s great to have this new Institute supporting the arts on campus here.”

In his email announcing the Institute, Dr. Favazza also stated the importance of the Institute. “There is a tremendous interest and growing career opportunities in dance. I believe this Institute will fit well within our liberal arts identity, will extend the reputation and reach of the college, and will grow enrollment of students and staff/faculty of diverse backgrounds.”

Parr noted how the Institute’s formation comes at a good time for the college. “There have been so many great additions recently to this campus. We have this school of nursing and a sense that we’re growing in our commitment to certain areas. It’s nice to see that the arts is one of those commitments.”

Tolson is associate professor of Dance at Berklee’s Boston Conservatory and resides in Bedford. He has been connected with the college through various workshops and performances and is now an internationally renowned dancer and producer.

The Tolson Institute has already begun its academic offerings with one-credit classes in tap and ballet beginning next semester. If students  want to get “footloose,” and are interested in taking a dance elective next semester, they can register through the MyAnselm portal.

Aaron Tolson Dancing Institute set to begin full operations beginning in December (Courtesy/Saint Anselm College )