Poisson leveled, nursing builing among new construction projects

Demolition on Poisson Hall began before students returned to campus.
Courtesy/ Jerome Day

“A new chapter at Saint Anselm” is how President Favazza described the addition of the campus’s forthcoming building, Grappone Hall, in his most recent “View from The Hilltop” email. The Hilltop has been buzzing with construction workers, excited nursing students, and curious members of the community during the destruction of Poisson Hall whose former setting will be the new home to the Jean School of Nursing and Health Sciences.

The complete demolition of Poisson Hall has officially taken place, turning heads as students make their way to the library and members of the nearby community coast through Saint Anselm Drive. In less than one year after the ribbon was cut for the new Grappone Humanities Institute, ground broke and space was created for those studying science related fields. Many have been anticipating when the completion of the building will be revealed, and answers are finally wandering around campus.

When asked what she is looking forward to most as a nursing student present for this addition, Sophomore Ellie Sintros exclaimed, “I am excited for the new nursing building because it will be a great new place to learn skills to help humans in the future!” Sintros alludes to her love for service in her response; a quality amongst many nursing majors and a confirmation for why this building is a necessary addition.  

The nursing program at Saint Anselm College continues to grow as each new class is admitted, and a dedicated hall will only attract more ambitious prospective students. Since 1983, Poisson was loved by many in the technology department, but the relocation of its equipment into the library and other facilities on campus have proven to be a smooth and successful transition thus far. Duty calls for a new spot for students committed to learning how to keep the rest of the community safe and healthy!

Members of The Hilltop have anxiously waited for the construction process to kick off since its start last school year, and Physical Plant has endured the struggles faced along the way. When asked what the biggest challenges have been so far, Jon Woodcock, director of Physical Plant wrote, “The biggest challenge to date, besides the deliberation on where this building should be constructed, has been the coordination of moving the departments and technology infrastructure that resided in Poisson. As you might know, the Computer Science department was moved to the lower level of the Library and Information Technology was moved to Gadbois Hall.  Both of these moves required engaging outside vendors to construct new office space including addressing the electrical and networking needs of each department.” The hard work and careful planning of Physical Plant contributed to the smooth transition mentioned above, and the community should continue to get excited for the success of their work that lies ahead. 

Like Sintros, many nursing students hope to learn in the new building during their time as an Anselmian, and for the class of 2026 and 2027, this is likely a possibility. Woodcock continued to explain that: “As we come out of winter (March/April), we will start to perform the necessary site work and foundation work.  Upon completion of the foundation work, we will commence the erection of the steel frame during the summer months.” Furthering the confirmation of this timeframe, Dean Uzarski shared the anticipated date of completion is July of 2025. If all goes as planned, current Freshman and Sophomores will have the pleasure of being the first ever students to learn in Grappone Hall. 

As you walk around campus, be on the lookout for any new developments over these next few months, and be sure to thank all of those who are contributing to this difficult and thrilling process! It is not everyday that the community gets to witness history like this be made.