Students praise legacy Dean Alicia Finn will leave after her retirement in June

Courtesy/Saint Anselm College
Dean Alicia Finn has been a staple of college leadership and community for decades.

Saint Anselm College had recently announced that beloved Vice President of Student Affairs and longtime Dean of Students Alicia Finn will be retiring at the end of the academic year. Since entering the role in 2005, Dean Finn has made an impact throughout all facets of campus life. In a statement sent out by college President Joseph Favazza, he reminisced on Dean Finn’s accomplishments throughout her tenure.

Her achievements as Dean include notable moments such as restructuring the Residential-Life program for RDs to full time career professionals and overseeing the hiring of nine first-time directors. President Favazza continued in his statement saying “Through the years, she has been a constant champion of student success, well-being, and equity… We will miss Alicia’s thoughtful guidance of the Student Affairs Division, her many selfless contributions to the community, and her poise and grace in any scenario.”

Dean Finn’s retirement also strongly impacts the student body, faculty, and the entire college community.  Student Government Association President Salvatore Parent said, “On the one hand, I was very happy for her and proud to have been able to work with her. She has had a long and frankly, legendary career here at St. A’s. On the other hand, I was met with deep sadness. Dean Finn always knew a way to inspire anyone around her without even trying, that kind of special gift is one that I deeply admire and cherish.”

SGA Vice President Diego Benites harkened on similar sympathies as Parent. Benites continued to say, “She’s a true trailblazer and truly cares about the students. She operates under one crucial motto: “always the student”. Time and time again she has advocated on behalf of all students. Her work and accomplishments have certainly not gone unnoticed.” Parent and Benites have both had the opportunity to work closely with Dean Finn through their involvement in SGA.

Students across campus have mentioned in some capacity that they were thankful for Dean Finn’s involvement in the community and support for the students. Senior Katelyn Clark, president of the Women in Business Club on campus emphasized this sentiment saying, “Dean Finn has had great support for the Women in Business Club since our inaugural year, and helped us tremendously when getting the club started up on campus. She also serves as a great female role model for not only members of our club, but to all students on campus. We are so thankful for Dean Finn’s leadership, and for her contributions to the women in business club, and wish her the best in her future endeavors.”

As for the Student Government Association, a club Dean Finn is known for her involvement in, many members are going to miss presence and profound leadership. Senior class President Jackie Labovitz reminisced about how Dean Finn welcomed her class with open arms. She continued to say, “Dean Finn welcomed us all to the Hilltop so warmly and has been positively influential to many Anselmians. She will be missed by so many students and faculty but I hope she has an enjoyable retirement after such an incredible career.” 

Labovitz’s counterpart and Senior Class Vice President Luke Chadwick, in regards to Dean Finn’s retirement, said that she will be greatly missed and her impact has been felt throughout the college community. He even mentioned briefly that Dean Finn’s replacement will have massive shoes to fill. “Dean Finn has been responsible for pioneering significant change across the Hilltop. Her work has made Saint Anselm more inclusive, welcoming, and stronger. She will be greatly missed and as the search for a replacement begins, we can only hope that whoever takes on the role of VP and Dean of Students looks to Dean Finn’s example of what it means to be a servant leader and advocate for all students,” Chadwick said. 

Sophomore Vice President Brigid Hughes spoke the mind of everyone in SGA. She said “Dean Finn has been a staple in student government. She supports us all in whatever we are working on, and always shares words of encouragement and appreciation. She acknowledges everyone’s hard work and makes sure to let you know it hasn’t gone unnoticed. She will be greatly missed by everyone in SGA!”

As Saint Anselm prepares to move forward, the impact Dean Finn has made on campus has been extraordinary, but none may be more extraordinary than the impact she has made on the students that she cares so deeply about. She embodies what it truly means to be a member of the Saint Anselm College community. In his email to the college, President Favazza said he intends to share plans for succession in the coming weeks. He emphasized the importance of the succession of Dean Finn over replacing her by saying, “Notice I did not say ‘replacement,’ as I sincerely believe Alicia is irreplaceable.”

Dean Finn leaves lasting mark on all components of college and student life.
Favazza says that no official plans have been made for Dean Finn “succession plan.”
Dean Alicia Finn set to retire in 2024.