Abbot Mark Cooper, O.S.B. shares perspective on college future:

DEI work, LGBTQ+dialogue, Church outreach, budget cuts, core curriculum
Courtesy/Jacob Akey
Abbot Mark Cooper, O.S.B. sits down with Crier editors to discuss the future of the college and upcoming abbatial elections.

As the Hilltop goes through major changes such as budget cuts and potential curriculum change, personnel changes are also rocking the Anselmian community. However, none may be more impactful than the incoming of a new abbot following Abbot Mark Cooper’s resignation. 

As he approaches the age of 75, Abbot Mark is required to submit his resignation as abbot, to which position he was elected in 2012. In a roundtable discussion with Crier staff, he shared his perspective on key issues that will impact the future of Saint Anselm College.

In recent years, there has been a greater emphasis on diversity, equity, and inclusion. On the Hilltop, Abbot Mark wants to continue to develop this work, emphasizing that everyone is created in God’s image.

“To me, we want to take what’s excellent that supports DEI, mainly that every person is created in God’s image, and incorporate that at SAC. My hope is that we as a college can come at all these major questions in society from the Catholic perspective.” he said.

The role of DEI has been widely debated at many colleges, including Saint Anselm, as community members have differing opinions about what actions are both necessary and effective at fostering an inclusive community. 

The Abbot wants to tackle these issues through a Catholic lens. “The best foundation supporting DEI originates from Church teaching. I would love to see some of the more difficult issues explored under a Catholic lens,” he said. “A Catholic school should try to find the best expression of those values the Church can possibly offer.”

Another important conversation in the Catholic Church and at Catholic schools is how to balance Church teachings on LGBTQ+ topics while fostering an inclusive environment. 

Abbot Mark recognizes that the topic is difficult to tackle. He acknowledged that there is a fine line to walk regarding this topic, with potential backlash no matter the stance. These are complex, deeply personal questions that give rise to more questions, not simple answers. 

Ultimately, the Abbot believes all are loved by God and all are rooted in Christ. “Life is a test of our love for God, and it is wrong to pre-judge anyone as condemned. God works with us where we are. The main thing is that we attempt to remain rooted in Christ.” he added.

With many challenges facing the college and the Catholic community, there are many more questions than answers. In the face of uncertainty, the Abbot believes things are heading in a positive direction. 

In terms of challenges facing the Church and monastic community, Abbot Mark explained how he would like to expand efforts to have more students attend daily Mass. “I’d love to see if we could engage a few more students to come and experience Mass and see what’s there for them from which to draw strength. Maybe some kind of direct outreach – if a group wanted to attend we could offer a meal and discussion afterward, or whatever, to try to get them exposed to what hopefully could be a vital on-going element in their lives.” he said. 

The Abbot believes that the College itself could benefit from some form of outreach program to get more people involved and engaged. “I think maybe some better effort at exposing our students to what is here, to what is our heritage, and perhaps some better effort at taking a look at what are some of the bothersome issues, the troubling issues, and maybe putting something together with speakers,” he continued.

While the challenges affecting Mass attendance remain a focal point in outreach, Abbot Mark also would like to see renewed efforts to reach students where they are, so as to continue to foster a thriving community. “[In the past] we had three or four monks who would schedule a visit with students in Dominic, Joan of Arc, and so on. It was just open, and you got a pretty good turnout,” he said. “It was just students asking questions and us giving the best answers we could, but it was a very positive thing.”

Looking towards the future of the College at large, Abbot Mark sees two elements. The first relates to financial matters and the other focuses more on the mission of the college, especially as it manifests itself in the core curriculum.

Abbot Mark, who served as Chief Finance Officer at Saint A’s from 1979-2012, understands that the financial aspect of higher education is becoming a greater issue for many. “It’s a very tough time in higher-ed,” he said, acknowledging the fact that many students take out loans and are in debt at hefty amounts.

“A huge percentage of our students are receiving institutional financial aid at a hefty percentage of tuition, which is necessary because it can bring them in and allow them to get an education,” he said. 

While additional institutional financial aid is necessary as the price of higher-education continues to rise, Abbot Mark explained how the current situation is more drastic than in previous years.

“What’s changing with institutional financial aid is that it used to be that you would increase your price, you would get a new class, and there’d be a little bit more financial aid given but it was nowhere near as dramatic an increase in aid as it is now,” he said. “So there’d be a lot of additional income to give to salary increases and to new initiatives. Now, you go up in price and then you go up so much in institutional financial aid that there’s a lot less margin there to work with. It’s getting very, very tough,” he continued.

Abbot Mark, in describing the state of higher education as “very tough,” explained how demographics in the Northeast are a growing concern for colleges. The upcoming “demographic cliff” has left schools with financial uncertainty moving forward. The College of Saint Rose in Albany, NY will close their doors at the end of the academic year due to financial difficulties. Saint Anselm College is attempting to set itself up to be prepared for the uncertain future of enrollment. 

“There’s a lot going on, but for us as a college in the next several years I think there’s going to be some sorting out regarding what we have to do in terms of how we present ourselves, how we go about our core curriculum… It’s a real challenge and I think the next 10 to 15 years in that respect is going to be critical,” he said. 

When a $5 million budget cut was announced, there was widespread speculation that this was an indication that Saint Anselm was in financial trouble. However, administrators have been adamant that the College is financially healthy, and that the budget cuts will allow the school more room to explore new initiatives, which will hopefully generate more revenue.

While there are currently more questions than answers, Abbot Mark believes that the college is in a state of “harmony,” and that things are in a very good place. As he heads into retirement, Abbot Mark knows his successor will build upon the work he has done throughout his tenure as Abbot, and propel Saint Anselm College into the future.