Coleman Awards show off the Hilltop’s finest

Courtesy/Kim Casey
Thomas Canuel, Student recipient of the Coleman Award

This year’s Paul S. Coleman Award ceremony celebrated the class of 2024’s achievements as leaders on campus and role models beyond it. The night honored students who are engaged with Saint Anselm College and enhance the college experience of others.

Paul S. Coleman impacted the whole campus and the Manchester community with his teachings and acts of service. He taught at Saint Anselm College and worked in the sociology department, managing a pioneering internship program and advocating for the social work major and minor that Saint A’s has today. 

Coleman set an example of leadership and community service programs, which influenced engagement. Coleman was known for his kindness and compassion, fostering a supportive community and influencing students like Dan Forbes. Dan Forbes, a former professor of social work on campus, was a student under Coleman, and he would later create and be the director of the Meelia Center.

President Favazza opened the ceremony with a speech welcoming the guests and nominees. Dr. Favazza reminded those in the auditorium that the ceremony represents leadership and gratitude for the community. 

Dr. Favazza’s speech was followed by the Director of Campus Ministry, Gregg Cecconi’s blessing. The blessing included celebrating excellence, but not perfection. Cecconi continued by saying that the journey for these students doesn’t end with the award and that it is one achievement of many to come. 

A summarized version of the remainder of the prayer includes: “First, we pray. For your strength…We pray for your courage…We pray for your peace….We pray for provision…We pray for respect…We pray for love.”

Susan Gayberg, Associate Dean of Students, was the M.C. of the ceremony. She introduced the keynote speaker Riley Casey, an alumni of Saint Anselm College, who worked at Campus Ministry and the Meelia Center during her time as a student. She currently works as the Director of Operations at Saint Benedict Classical Academy, a K-8 school in Massachusetts. Her accomplishments on the Hilltop include overseeing the Road for Hope program and Anselmian Break

Casey, finishing her speech, stated, “All of us here, living our ordinary lives will be what creates something extraordinary…the reason these experiences are so special is that they are filled with love, this place is filled with love…become a part of the world by doing each small act with a heart full of love…and those ordinary acts of service will become extraordinary.”

Two nominees were selected for the Admissions department award. For his determination and reliability, Benson Furber was awarded; and for her immense positive energy and generosity, Grace McDonald was also awarded. The award is dedicated to Father Michael Custer, a chemistry teacher who welcomed families in the admissions office and was kind, generous, and endearing to all. 

The Athletic Department awarded the Donna Guimont Award to Isabella Stuzynski for her passion, care, and dedication to her athletics and academics. Donna Guimont worked at the college for thirty-six years as an Athletic Director and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1986. 

Campus Ministry awarded Ranji Matthews the Sister Pauline Lucier, CSC Award. The award is dedicated to Sister Pauline, a former Campus Ministry worker, who embodied Benedictine values and tirelessly served the college community. The Campus Ministry honors Mathews who they see following Pauline’s example, encouraging the growth of others, and representing humility and empathy.

Campus Ministry also honored Mary Kocev with the Dorothy Day award. The award represents excellence in community service. Kocev was selected for her work in service, fundraising, and campus involvement. 

Health Services honored the Saint Anselm College Award to Gabbie Constantine. The award represents excellence in the care of the sick, generosity, and dedication to the community.

The Intercultural Center honored Brianna Plante for embodying the Benedictine values of hospitality and leadership efforts that blossom diversity. 

The Meelia Center awarded Amelia Barnum and Sean Kelleher the Dan Forbes College Access Award for representing role models for empowerment, support, teaching, and hard work.

The NHIOP honored Grace Tierney for showing initiative, coordination, responsibility, and excellence through the NHIOP Ambassador program. 

The S.E.A.L. organization honored Zachary Castro with the 2024 Service Award for representing excellence in leadership, generosity, dedication, and involvement on campus.

Respect the Nest honored Hannah Peterson and Kevin Macarelli with the 2024 Committee Service Award for representing experience, enrichment, organization, and community building. These students helped build a campus recycling program, coordinated Earth Day events, and advocated sustainability in the face of Climate Change and Environmental issues.

The ceremony ended with the two Paul S. Coleman Awards, one in Outstanding Community Service, and the other in Outstanding Service Leadership. The nominees selected for either award represent high esteem held within the community. Dean Finn reminded each nominee that their service is greatly appreciated, which they earned and richly deserved.

The Coleman Award for Outstanding Community Service went to Tom Canuel and Caroline Kiley. Both nominees were selected for their dedication to service, selflessness, and inspiration for the common good.

The Coleman Award for Outstanding Service Leadership was given to Jillian Barrett and Anna Raley. These nominees were chosen for their accomplishments, community-building, dedication, and inspiring collaboration with peers and the community.

Canuel, when asked about receiving the award, said, “it is such an honor and a blessing to receive a Coleman Award and to have the opportunities I’ve been able to experience here at Saint A’s…I know for me, my experiences have taught me so much about the heart of Christ.”

Raley, when asked about receiving the award, stated, “I would just like to acknowledge how grateful I am to have been one of the many amazing recipients of this award, and that receiving this award alongside such an inspiring community of students was such an honor.”