News editor says thanks for memories, opportunities to an exceptional community

Patrick Mcgann
A picture from inside the Blarney Castle in Ireland during my Fall 2023 trip

As I reflect on my past 4 years at Saint Anselm College, I have to go back to the first time I walked onto campus as a student. The late summer and fall of 2020 was a confusing and uncertain time for everyone, let alone college freshmen. The college and upperclassmen did a great job trying to welcome us to the community despite the unknowns of COVID, but at the beginning I truly didn’t get the full experience of what the St. A’s community was like. 

Fast forward to today and I look back on all that I experienced and went through. It is hard to put myself in the headspace of my then 19 year old self and all of his uncertainties for the future. Throughout my time at SAC, I have grown both as a student, but more importantly as a person. I have learned that finding what you are passionate about and have fun doing is what you should follow. I have learned that you should surround yourself with friends that make you feel comfortable. But most important of them all, I have learned that not sometimes even the hard things are the ones that are most valuable. 

One of the passions that I discovered here was my passion for writing, particularly journalism. Being the News Editor of The Crier gave me a platform to use my love of writing and combine it with being part of such a great community. This position gave me access to meet several students, administrators, and faculty members I wouldn’t normally get to meet. It gave me a reason to become more immersed in Anselmian events and traditions I normally wouldn’t have an interest in.

When I was deciding between schools as a senior in high school, one of Saint A’s greatest strengths was the New Hampshire Institute of Politics. While I was not an ambassador for the institute, I was able to be involved in many of their programs and events through The Crier. I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to meet political figures and office holders in a way that few people would be able to. Being able to meet Governors, Senators, Congressmen, and even former presidents are experiences and memories that I will never forget.

As the class of 2024 prepares to spend their final few weeks as students, we do so being grateful for all the friends we have made and for the growth that we have all done as a group and as individuals. I look forward to being able to spend these last few weeks with this great class and celebrate our accomplishments come May 18th on Alumni Quad.