Plans in the works for DEI’s future on campus

Saint Anselm College
Ande Diaz, Chief Diversity Officer leaving the college to potentially be replaced

As Saint Anselm College prepares to say goodbye to Dr. Ande Diaz, Chief Diversity Officer, the question remains on her replacement. President Favazza explained that he is developing an action plan for rethinking the role Dr. Diaz had, and is looking to implement DEI campus-wide with “Vision 2025.”  

President Favazza included that Dr. Diaz helped him greatly with keeping the focus of DEI in mind with administration, while also not being divisive. As a one-person office, Dr. Diaz had a large responsibility, and her commitment and collaboration skills will be missed, according to President Favazza.

At this point, President Favazza does not plan to replace Dr. Diaz. 

“There are no plans in place, but there are plans in development,” said President Favazza.

The position of Chief Diversity Officer is being inspected and conversations are underway about the role itself. President Favazza worries that DEI management and professional development and training are a lot for one individual. Like many aspects of Favazza’s “vision,” Dr. Diaz’s job is being restructured. Dr. Favazza hopes to announce the new plan in 2-3 weeks of the new structure for the position. 

As of now, President Favazza knows that he still wants someone to be responsible for DEI management and organization. He also is planning on having a different role for professional development and training, but for President Favazza, DEI comes first. 

President Favazza wants DEI to not be the sole responsibility of one person. The goal of the changes being made is to integrate DEI across campus. 

President Favazza stated, “we need to recognize that we can’t just push it all on to that office…that’s why I’m changing the structure.”

Discussions on restructuring the Chief Diversity Officer position have included Dr. Liotta, Vice President of Academic Affairs, Dean Finn, Dean of Students, Molly McKean, Director of Human Resources, and the Senior Leadership Group. These conversations have also included finding staff on campus who are interested in working in an area like the Chief Diversity Officer position.

President mentioned the importance of DEI in the conversations of “Vision 2030.”

Dr. Favazza said, “we think about the vision of making our campus more inclusive…we have processes and strategies in place so that every student…has a sense of belonging.”

“Vision 2030” will also include rethinking current services provided, that President Favazza feels need to be relooked. Dr. Favazza mentioned better representation for counseling and student services. President Favazza is also working on better accessibility and making tuition more affordable with scholarships.

Abbott Mark and President Favazza have discussed the inclusion of DEI within the “Vision 2030” often, according to President Favazza. 

Dr. Favazza stated, “it’s really important to me that our DEI work is located within our conversations about our Catholic and Benedictine mission and identity…it’s integrated there…I want to keep that together.”

As a part of Favazza’s “Vision 2025,” Dr. Diaza helped coordinate the “DEI Action Plan.” The plan includes the formation of a committee, which opened discussions of a “student-ready” campus, accessibility, professional development, and curriculum; all of which are centered around DEI strategies. 

Another program being initiated with Dr. Diaz’s guidance is the Respect and Belonging Response Team, which will give students opportunities to report microaggressions, and hate speech. The program is meant to be educational rather than punishing or accusatory, according to President Favazza.

Dr. Favazza explained, “she’s [Dr. Diaz] helped me to gain some perspective and to recognize that the most important thing is that we make some progress every year.” 

President Favazza is committed to being more equitable, and working to find more equitable policies and practices on campus. A part of “Vision 2030” is relooking at the policies of every division, which includes: academic student affairs, advancement, and enrollment. President Favazza is trying to find ways to be universally more equitable.

Dr. Diaz, in response to DEI and the plans for the future of her Office, responded, “I am confident of the college’s progress in the years to come!”

When asked what DEI means to him, President Favazza stated, “belonging… it’s creating a campus, that any student no matter, their race or ethnic background…that they find a welcoming, hospitable community here…where they can learn without distraction, and every opportunity is open to every student.”