School safety shouldn’t be only for wealthy

Vanessa Burton, Crier Staff

In the past few decades, students, teachers, and administration across the United States have been required to implement strict security measures in public schools in order to prevent threats to the safety of children and adults. The Columbine High School Massacre in 1999 and the Sandy Hook shooting in 2012 are two grave examples of a seemingly growing problem in the United States, where threats to public schools have become the norm and lockdown drills are part of a regular routine for children as young as four. Higher levels of security for public schools require funding, which may be lacking in inner city or less wealthy districts.

On Thursday, September 25, Manchester High School West, just 2.3 miles from Saint Anselm, went into lockdown from 7:30 to 9:40 AM after a student saw a man enter the school with a concealed gun, according to the Boston Globe. The suspect, 21-year-old Damien Johnson, was found and retained by the three teams of armed SWAT officers and found to be in possession of a pellet gun and knife. The lockdown procedure was noted as very thorough and effective by local officials.

“The process did work,” said West High Principal Christopher Motika. “The person was identified and we were able to use our emergency response protocol to ensure the safety of students.”

Although the incident was handled quickly and properly, the fact that anyone has the ability to enter a school in the morning is alarming. Like most public schools, the doors of West High remain opened from 7 to 7:55 AM for students to enter at the start of the day, according to WMUR. At this time, many staff members and officers are stationed at the entrances of the school in order to supervise for intruders, however, it is possible for someone to blend into the crowd and enter without difficulty.

The threat to school security in this country is real, and although funding has increased in order for students to be safe, there still seems to be a lack of security in districts of all social status. Manchester High School West was lucky in how the administration reacted; their security measures were suitable to handle a situation of this matter, but what if the threat had been greater? If, for example, two heavily armed men were to attempt entrance into the school, would the security be high enough to protect the student body and staff? Questions like these prompt society to take a deeper look at the security and welfare of the children who go to school in order to be in a safe learning environment.

Ranging from preschools to high schools, student are taught how to proceed when a lockdown goes into effect. It is incredibly unsettling when an 18-year-old after school care provider is taught how to use their body as a shield to protect children under their care, just as it is unsettling for high school students to learn to find a safe corner in their classroom to hide from intruders. Although it is important for administration to stress how to handle a possible threat in a public school, it is also important for funding to go towards the prevention of such incidents in the first place. Some districts may not be as fortunate as others to hire police officers to secure the halls or have security cameras installed. Schools hold the children that will grow into our society, and if proper funding is not fed to protect them at all costs, then all could be a stake.