Individual responsibility for climate change

Debate+team+members+argued+individual%0Aor+gov.+responsibility+on+climate+change.+
Courtesy/NIHOP
Debate team members argued individual or gov. responsibility on climate change.

On Tuesday September 12th, the Saint Anselm Debate Team took part in a debate hosted by the Braver Angels organization and the National Governors Association on the ever-increasing threat that is climate change. The debate centered around who bears the responsibility of addressing climate change– the individual or the government? Debaters Sean Kelleher ‘24, Michael Hanna ‘26, and myself argued that the individual bears more responsibility. We focused on two main points surrounding transportation and agriculture. Individuals can have an impact on the climate by taking less flights and walking, biking, or taking public transportation more, and reducing beef consumption. Debaters Isabella Uva ‘26, Alexander Burgess ‘24, and Nathaniel Crane ‘24 argued that government was the better vehicle of which to combat this crisis. Their arguments focused on government regulations and mandates, the enforcement mechanisms the government has that the individual lacks, and the history of government action compared to individuals. After the six debaters presented their arguments and fielded questions from the audience, the floor was opened up to students, staff, and the five governors in attendance. Six students and one other audience member spoke. 

Four students spoke on the side of individual action, while one student and one other audience member spoke on the side of government action. One point students on both sides of this topic brought up throughout the debate was that government action, regardless of its efficacy, has not occurred. Speakers on both sides of the argument maintained that individual action will likely come from younger generations due to the existential impact the changing climate has on us. Student speakers also addressed the audience– saying that if this issue is important to them, they should tell the government and their representatives. The audience, at multiple times during the debate, was dared to ask questions and wonder why. 

As the debate started to come to a close, the audience was asked to reflect on the discussion. There was an air among the audience that made it seem that the debate could continue for a while, even as we all reflected. This event has not only shown that climate change is an issue for our campus and generation, but also that there is an appetite for these forum-like events.