The student news site of Saint Anselm College

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

Left hook, right jab: perspectives on students and third parties

Courtesy/ FLICKR
Students from the left and right take on issues in the Crier’s signature debate column.

The opinion section has evolved as a forum for student debate; we have hosted dueling articles on guns, the Latin mass, abortion, campus dining, and more. Left Hook, Right Jab is a continuation of this tradition. Representing the left (L), we have Kellan Barbee, President of the College Democrats. For the right (R), we have Mac Connors, President of the College Republicans. Both were given the same prompts, but neither saw the other’s response. Enjoy!

Is New Hampshire’s first-in-the-nation primary status worth preserving?

R: Yes, New Hampshire’s first-in-the-nation primary status is worth preserving. This preservation is crucial because New Hampshire has been responsible for helping many underdog candidates and leading them to victory in the primary and national elections. This was the case in 1976 when New Hampshire boasted the first Carter primary victory in that year’s Democratic campaign. The preservation of this status has also been endorsed by many in the state and across the country. The New Hampshire Senate passed a resolution unanimously supporting the preservation of this status. This should not be a political issue but rather something that we can find common ground, no matter what our values may be.

L: New Hampshire’s first-in-the-nation primary status must be preserved. This tradition goes back over a century and is the pinnacle of the New Hampshire political landscape. I’d argue an overwhelming majority of Republicans, Independents, and Democrats have supported, do support, and will support the first-in-the-nation primary status, irrespective of the national parties, actions or attitudes. If other states want to move earlier in the primary order, they should go after New Hampshire.

Have Saint Anselm College students gotten more or less conservative?

L: What I witnessed last year was a campus community that transcended political preferences. As a whole, our campus has a relatively even partisan split. Regardless of liberal or conservative values, we as a community continue to honor our Benedictine values through events such as the annual LGBTQ+ Visibility Day and the observance of Catholic traditions. As time passes and we all graduate, the Saint Anselm community will continue to honor and support the members of our community and the traditional Benedictine values we all live and learn under.

R: Saint Anselm College has become less conservative over the past several years and I believe that the college has become more liberal as a whole. With the election fast approaching, it seems as though everyone is more politically active than usual, so it is very possible that the student body hasn’t become more liberal but rather more outspoken in their beliefs.

Under what scenario would you consider voting third party?

R: I would consider voting for a third party if Donald Trump were the nominee of the Republican Party. I have already prepared myself for this impending possibility and have already been considering options. The Green Party is far too left-wing, and the Libertarian Party is a bunch of anti-government quacks who don’t understand much about anything except themselves. The most promising option at the moment may be to write in Philip II of Spain. Requiescat in Pace to the King and to our political system.

L: There is no currently realistic scenario I would consider voting third party in 2024. Come November 5th, 2024, I will be casting my vote for the Democratic ticket.