If you’re going to get Chipotle, please get guacamole

I recently attended the Campus Activities Board “CABoo” Halloween event. As always, the line formed half an hour before the event and students watched hungrily as large catering boxes of Chipotle went past them into “the room where it happens.” The doors finally opened and there was a mad dash to get the free food.

As I made my way down the line, graciously filling up my Chipotle bowl, I paused towards the end of the spread. Perhaps I had missed something. Where was the guacamole? Or the queso? Or the sour cream? Perhaps some chips? Eventually, I had to face the fact that there were no such accouterments to be found.

Unfortunately, this meant I ate the driest burrito bowl of my life. It consisted of rice, chicken, mild salsa, corn salsa, and shredded cheese. It was missing that extra something. I considered walking all the way back to my apartment just to get a dollop of sour cream but I was too hungry. 

One of my friends nearly choked because the texture was so dry. Unfortunately, there were no water bottles at the event and they ran out of mocktails, so we had to leave to find something to quench our thirst.

Let me pause to say that I truly commend the efforts of the Campus Activities Board. They work hard to put on events that students will enjoy and many of those events have become important student body traditions. I thank CAB for getting Chipotle for us students.

This is simply a humble request to any group on campus to consider what makes a Chipotle bowl before they finalize a catering order for their event. Yes, guac and queso are extra. Yes, not everyone likes sour cream. However, by offering at least one of these options you might resurrect what would otherwise be a dry burrito bowl.