The student news site of Saint Anselm College

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

Two birds, one moped

Courtesy/John Provost
Theoretically, you can use a moped to reserve a parking spot… but you also could get a ticket so park at your own risk.

There are two issues of transportation that Saint Anselm students face every year. First, trying to find the most effective way to get around campus. Second, if they have a car on campus, trying to find a parking space in a crowded lot. 

Some creative students have found a simple, single solution to both problems – a moped. You can zip around campus from uppers to NHIOP without breaking a sweat. Plus, you get there much faster than walking so you can sleep an extra few minutes in the morning. If you have a car and a moped, you can reserve a spot in any lot of your choosing. When you need to take the car, park the moped in the spot and you will have a guaranteed parking space when you return. 

Technically speaking, this isn’t a by-the-book solution. According to Rob Browne, Director of Campus Safety and Security, students are only allowed to have one vehicle on campus at a time. Mopeds, Vespas, motorcycles, and other such modes of transportation are considered vehicles that are supposed to be registered with the College. So, a word of caution to anyone considering a moped, if it is not registered you run the risk of getting a ticket if it is parked in a campus parking space.

However, Browne explained that these types of funky transportation and parking issues usually resolve themselves once the temperatures drop.

As the winter weather approaches, we must once again go back to the drawing board to figure out the solution to our student transportation woes. Perhaps snowmobiles, skis, sleds?