Women’s lacrosse breaks record

Luke Robins, Crier Staff

With Saturday’s 19-11 loss to Adelphi, currently ranked in the country the Saint Anselm Women’s Lacrosse team moved to 9-2 on the season. They could hardly have had a better start to their season.

Their winning streak that started the year consisted of eight straight wins, which was a record for the school’s women’s lacrosse program.
Senior Katie Amato comments on their solid start, saying, “We are looking to build off of our success from last season. Give last year record of 10-7 the Hawks made it to playoffs but unfortunately had an early exit in the first round. Regardless they are poised to make a strong run at it this year given their record thus far.

The Lady Hawks have bested Nyack, Bentley, and Assumption just to name a few. With upcoming games against Saint Mike’s and Stonehill each player is excited to get back out in the field and continue a strong victorious season.

Averaging 16 goals a game and scoring 170 so far this season leading goal scorers are Junior Marissah Daily with 49, and Sophomores Caitlin Villareal and Erin Marshal with 34 and 19 respectively.

These aggressive hawks show no signs of slowing as Amato continues, “We have a very balanced attack and strong defense and everyone on the team contributes to our success, and we are looking to play long into the post season!”

This past weekend was the team’s third annual “teal the field” event in honor of Junior Molly McGaffigan who won her fight with ovarian cancer at the age of 15. Prior to Saturday’s game the team sold shirts and ribbons in efforts to raise money for Ovations for the cure, a foundation dedicated to ovarian cancer research.

The Lady Hawks seek to best Stonehill taking the field again on April 16th at Grapone Stadium.