Six Hawks athletes receive Northeast-10 weekly recognitions

Cody Jones, Sports Editor

Six Saint Anselm athletes in three different sports received special recognition from the Northeast-10 Conference for the week ending on October 5.

Sophomore Steven McLeod, a goalie on the men’s soccer team, won the Northeast-10 Goalkeeper of the Week award for his pair of shutouts in the net this past week against Saint Michael’s and Adelphi. With the two shutouts he improved his season record to 3-1 and helped bring the soccer team, which is now 3-5 overall, back into contention for the conference title.

The women’s field hockey team saw two of its athletes receive conference awards. Sophomore goalie Katherine Sears won the Northeast-10 Goalkeeper of the Week award. She posted 15 saves on 16 shots on goal in the team’s two wins last week. Freshman forward Allia Connolly won the Northeast-10 Rookie of the Week award for scoring three goals in their last two games including the game winning score against Southern Connecticut. The performances of both Sears and Connolly helped improve the field hockey teams record to 5-1 overall.

Three Hawks football players won conference recognitions this past week. Senior wide receiver Justin Bernard and sophomore quarterback Yianni Gavalas shared the Northeast-10 Offensive Player of the Week award for their performances against Merrimack this past Saturday. Bernard made 14 catches for 163 yards and one touchdown. He also broke an NCAA Division two all-time record for receptions with 338 total in his college career. Gavalas completed 40 of 49 passes for 426 yards with a touchdown. He also collected 50 rushing yards and two touchdowns on the ground. Sophomore line backer Kyrell Jaundoo won the Northeast-10 Defensive Player of the Week award. He recorded 12 tackles in the game including 4 for a loss. He was also credited with 3 sacks and a forced fumble. With the performances of these three players, Hawks football improved their record to 5-0 on the season.