Ceremony at St. A’s honors players, coaches, and faculty

Cody Jones, Sports Editor

In Sullivan Arena on Saturday, February 14, twenty-five 100 point scorers and seven All-Americans from past men’s and women’s hockey teams were recognized in a special ceremony before the men’s team faced the University of New England. Past players, friends and a coach were recognized for their instrumental role in shaping the success of Saint A’s hockey.

These individuals included Walter J. Gallo’58 HD ’08 (retired Saint Anselm College Vice President for Endowment), Father Jude Gray, O.S.B. (Monk of Saint Anselm Abbey, retired Saint Anselm faculty), Donald E. Healy ’60, (retired Saint Anselm College Director of Admission), Frank Harrington (first Saint Anselm College men’s hockey coach), the late Placidus H. Riley, O.S.B. ’42 (6th President of Saint Anselm College), the late Lawrence E. Wetterholm ’52 HD ’82 (former Saint Anselm College trustee and president of the Alumni Association), and the late James J. Dooley ’70 (member of the first hockey team).

The men’s ice hockey program began from humble beginnings. Initially a club sport, some students wanted to play on an intercollegiate level. One student, James Dooley class of 1970, reached out to a former Boston College ice hockey star and member of the 1949 NCAA championship team, Frank Harrington to coach. Through his connections, Coach Harrington organized games against competitive Division one and two teams beginning with the first intercollegiate hockey game held in 1969.

Coach Harrington’s teams were so successful that in 1972 the college played Army at West Point and beat them 3-2. Coach Harrington’s winning percentage improved each year he was at Saint A’s and his final year as the Hawks coach, he had a .697 winning percentage, which is still the best in school history. He also played a key role in reintroducing baseball to Saint A’s in 1971.

Every year, a golf tournament that raises money for the Hawk Hockey Program is held in Coach Harrington’s honor. This coming spring, the 22nd Annual Frank Harrington Golf Tournament will be held.

In addition to honoring the past accomplishments of these players, faculty and administrators, a brand new bronze hawk statue was unveiled and is on display at Sullivan Arena.