Hawk women’s basketball hosts annual Play 4Kay cancer benefit game

Anna Boris, Crier Staff

Each year in the month of February, the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) sponsors a Play 4Kay game in order to raise awareness and funds for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, which is focused on Breast Cancer. The Hawks held their Play 4Kay game against Merrimack on the 18th of February. The team sold T-shirts to raise funds for the cause, and also held a tug-of-war contest and a 50-50 raffle at the event itself. There was a $2 entry fee for each individual to participate in the Battle of the Classes tug-of-war. Not only did this help raise money, but it also encouraged Saint A’s students to participate and attend the event.

Freshman Erin Waters felt that the event was successful, and the incorporation of the student body was effective.

“The tug-of-war was a great incentive for students to come,” said Waters. “The whole Football team came, and Women’s Lacrosse was there as well. We are so thankful for the support from all the other athletic teams—we felt the love.”

Along with the raised funds, numerous parents and spectators made generous donations to the Kay Yow Cancer Fund. In total, the team raised about $350 to donate to the cause.

Before they even began to fundraise, the Hawks learned more about the fund and Breast Cancer itself. Breast Cancer Survivor Nancie Costa-Dallaire served as a guest speaker for the team, in which she discussed her experience and her fight against Breast Cancer. The team also researched about the organization that they were funding for, in order to have a better understanding.

Not only did the team raise funds and awareness for Breast Cancer, but they also won their game against Merrimack with a score of 53-51. The game went down to the last second, when sophomore Candace Andrews scored the winning 2-pointer. The two top scorers for the game were Andrews, with 12 points, and sophomore Caitlyn Abela, with 10 points.

In addition to their pink game, the team also volunteers within the community. Abela believes the volunteer work the team is involved in brings a greater sense of togetherness to the team.

“In the fall we volunteered at the Manchester Boy’s and Girl’s club once a week,” said Abela. “We are currently just beginning to volunteer at Girl’s Inc.  We always look for opportunities to give back to the community, and we have fun doing it.”

Both volunteering and raising awareness are a central part of the Women’s Basketball team. They hope to expand both in service and in future Play 4Kay games, and to therefore have a greater impact on the community around them.