Lady Hawks inconsistent in start of soccer season

Connor MacGregor, Crier Staff

After a disappointing 2015 season, women’s soccer is looking to make some noise in the always-competitive NE-10 Conference. In the season opener, the Hawk’s took an easy victory over Saint Michael’s  in the Catholic Cup.

The team looked very strong, out-shooting St. Mike’s 12-2 and finishing with a 3-0 victory. Senior Kendra Bonczar played a key role in the win, scoring one goal while also tacking on an assist. Freshman Carly Farina and junior Jessica Kaufman both contributed goals to the effort as well. On the defensive side of the game senior goalkeeper Cassie Quattropani had one save in the first half and sophomore Elise Bouchard did not face a shot in the second half of the game.

The day after their near flawless win over Saint Michaels, The Hawks fell to Stonehill one nil in the final of the Catholic Cup. Stonehill scored mid-way through the first half of the game and held the Hawks off the score sheet. Despite good all-around goal keeping from Quattropani and Bouchard, whom each had four saves, the Hawk’s offense was stagnant only taking two shots on net the entire game.

After a three day break, the Hawks came back with a vengeance when they traveled on the road to play against Nyack College. In the first two minutes of the game, Bonzcar scored on the Warriors to put the Hawks up 1-0 and late in the second half sophomore Corey Murray scored finishing the game at 2-0.

Senior Kendra Bonzcar.
Courtesy\Christopher Barroso
Senior Kendra Bonzcar.

The Hawks out-shot the Warriors by an astonishing 26-2 margin with one save between Quattropani and Bouchard. The two goalkeepers seem almost unstoppable so far this year, only allowing one goal in three games and combining for two shut-outs.

Sophomore Corey Murray.
Courtesy\Christopher Barroso
Sophomore Corey Murray.

On Sept. 10 Saint A’s fell 4-1 to the #11 team in Division 2, Adelphi University at their place. Sophomore Corey Murray scored in the 84th minute for the Hawks with their only tally after the team had already fallen behind big early, so it was not enough. The Panthers outshot Saint A’s 26-5 in the contest controlling the game from the start and scored three goals in the opening half.

Coach Tony Wallis is optimistic about the start for his team, saying “the team chemistry is great and the level of talent is good for all 25 players. I think we have potential to make some noise in the conference this year.”

Wallis added that the Hawks will have a challenging September due to playing 8 out of 9 games on the road, but that a 7 game home stretch in October would make up for that and hopefully lead them to a home playoff game and a possible bid into the NCAA tournament in November.  The women go on the road to play Southern Connecticut State Sept. 14, but the results were not available at the time of print.

Update: Women’s soccer lost to Southern Connecticut State 3-0 on Sept. 14, making their current record 2-3.