Women’s hockey continues hot streak with win and tie on Pink in the Rink Weekend

Crier\Erica Pesci

Maura Kieft, Sara McNamara, and Martha Findley (left to right) huddle on ice.

Dan Flatley, Crier Staff

The Saint Anselm women’s ice hockey team had their seven game winning streak snapped this past weekend after finishing with a tie against Manhattanville College. The women have not lost a game since Jan. 11 and have dominated this season with an overall record of 16-2-3.  The team is also steamrolling their opponents in their wins with an overall goals-per-game margin of 4.62.

The annual Pink in the Rink Weekend was partially successful for the Hawk women’s hockey team.  They obliterated their first opponent, Salve Regina, on Friday with the final score being 8-1.  Sadly they could not extend their winning streak to eight games against Manhattanville on Saturday though, as they finished that game with a 2-2 tie.

In the game on Friday against Salve Regina, the Hawks had six different goal scorers in the rout.  Seniors Alex Starzyk and Victoria Shea both potted two goals each while juniors Ashley Moran and Kaitlyn Spillane each had one goal, freshman Megan Klaus had one goal, and senior Alison Quinn had one goal as well. The Hawks finished the first period having only surrendered 1 shot on goal the entire period while they had 17 shots on goal in the opening frame.  The same theme continued throughout as they had 18 shots on goal to only 3 shots surrendered in the second and then a whopping 28 shots in the final period compared to 1 shot surrendered.  Senior goalie Hannah Synnott started the game for the Hawks and she made 4 saves on a measly 5 shots on goal all game.  Sadly, the Hawks were not able to maintain this momentum through their next game against Manhattanville on Saturday.

Crier\Erica Pesci
Maura Kieft skates through Manhattanville players.

Manhattanville College faced the Hawks on Saturday in the women’s final Pink in the Rink Weekend game. The Valiants came to town looking to extend their own four game winning streak while the Hawks were sporting a seven game winning streak coming into action on Saturday.  Something had to give in this game and unfortunately for both teams, neither win streak could continue through the game.  The Hawks and Valiants finished with a 2-2 draw.  The Hawks goal scorers were sophomore Maura Kieft and junior Kaitlyn Spillane.  Senior goaltender Hannah Synnott got the start in this game and she made 18 saves on 20 total shots on goal.  This tie pushed her overall record to 3-1-1 on the season.

The Hawks look to get back on track on Friday Feb. 10 against the Williams College Ephs at Williams College.  That game is scheduled for puck drop to be 4:30 p.m.  The Hawks will look to start another winning streak and push their record to 17-2-3 overall on Friday.