Women’s basketball falls to Bentley in NE10 tournament game

Crier\Tim Mannila

Sophomore Emma Daly looks for an open teammate near the basket.

Johnny Norton, Crier Staff

The Saint Anselm women’s basketball team was defeated by the #12 ranked Bentley Falcons on March 2nd, ending their run in the Northeast 10 tournament in the semi-finals. Senior Candace Andrews lead the team with 28 points. Junior Ali Glennon scored eight points and grabbed three offensive rebounds.

Saint Anselm went up early, breaking out on a 10-2 run with help from Glennon, scoring five of the team’s first 10 points. Bentley would come out of a timeout with their own run, rattling off six unanswered points. After going back and forth throughout the first, Bentley broke out on another run, going perfect from the field and outscoring the Hawks 10-2. After the first, Bentley lead Saint Anselm 21-16.

Andrews exploded out of the break, scoring the first six points of the second quarter for the Hawks, including two pull-up mid-range jumpers. With six minutes to play in the half, Andrews tallied 15 of the Hawks 22 points.

Bentley would answer with a triple of their own, but Junior Clairee Putnam knocked a corner three to keep the Hawks within 10. Andrews cashed in on two free throws and a layup to pull the Hawks within eight.

The Falcons would answer with their own four point run, ending the half with a 41-34 lead at the break.

After the half, Bentley rattled off a 6-2 run, forcing Saint Anselm to call a timeout to regroup. Coming out of the timeout, Andrews scored four unanswered points to bring the Hawks back to within seven points. With four minutes remaining in the third, Bentley would take a 53-40 lead after scoring six unanswered points. Junior Erin Waters would help the Hawks on the glass, hitting a putback layup and dishing out an assist to Glennon for a three to bring the Hawks within nine.

Bentley would break out in the fourth with a 13-0 run, taking a 70-45 lead with five minutes to play. Senior Kaila Duarte would end the run with a layup, but it would not be enough. Bentley ended the Hawks run at a Northeast 10 title, defeating them 81-49, improving their record to an impressive 21-1 in Northeast 10 play.

The Hawks would finish the season with a 19-10 record, which is their best since their 20-win season in 2000. Andrews received the Northeast 10 Defensive Player of the Year award, as well as being named to the All-Northeast 10 First Team for the second year in a row. Andrews finished this season with 16.6 points, 4.8 rebounds, 5.9 assists and 3.4 steals in 31.1 minutes of play. She lead the Northeast 10 in assists and steals, and is 8th in the nation in steals. Senior Caitlyn Abela finished the season with 11 points per game, as well as averaging four rebounds. Duarte finished the year with 9.6 points per game, shooting an impressive 51.7% from the field.

The Hawks had one of their most successful season to date, finishing with the most wins since 2000, and making the semi-finals of the Northeast 10 tournament for the first time since 2000.