The student news site of Saint Anselm College

The Saint Anselm Crier

Softball suffers extra inning defeat to Merrimack College

Sophomore Jordan O’Connor looks to her teammates as she celebrates her on-base.

Crier\Tim Mannila

Crier\Tim Mannila

Devon Sherman, Crier Staff

The Hawks experienced heartbreak in their extra inning loss to the Merrimack as the Warriors scored in the eighth inning to win 3-2.

Saint Anselm fought hard and earned two runs in the top of the sixth. The Hawks totaled five hits and two runs with only one error.

The Merrimack Warriors got a run earlier on in the first and then another run in the bottom of the fifth. The Warriors totaled five hits, three runs, and two errors.  

Freshman Morgan Perry had a great game on the mound, pitching for seven and two thirds innings. She struck out five batters, walked two, and gave up five hits and three runs.

The great outing from Perry did not end up in a win for the Hawks. The Hawks left ten runners on base which could have made a difference for them in the end.

The Hawks were led by junior catcher Megan Murkell and freshman third baseman Maggie Murphy who both homered in the top of the sixth. The Hawks also had help from freshman second baseman Madison Borelli who had great vision at the plate by earning two walks. The Hawks problems of leaving runners on base continued throughout the game as they left more on base in the top of the seventh.

The Warriors also got a great game out of their pitcher, junior Megan Cook, who went five and two thirds innings. She struck out four batters, gave up three hits, two runs and three walks.

Senior Haley Currie also shined for Merrimack as she went two and one third innings on the mound. She gave up two hits, and one strikeout. Currie picked up the win which puts her to 10-2 on the year.

The Warriors received massive help on offense from senior Haley Currie who hit a HR, earned two RBI’s, and one run. Senior Samantha Waskowitz also assisted her team as she earned three hits, one RBI, and two runs.

Saint Anselm’s Morgan Perry continues to perform well as her record moves to 3-8 for the season. Merrimack’s Megan Cook left the game with a no decision. Haley Currie moved to 10-2 on the year for the Warriors.  

The Hawks continue to face a pitching shortage. They have only used two pitchers all year. It is critical that Saint Anselm keep a close eye on their pitchers. Constant pitching leads to fatigue and could impact the last few weeks of the season.

Merrimack will faced Assumption on Wednesday April 19 and . They sit at 23-11 and 10-4 in conference. The Hawks will travel to Bentley Friday April 21st. They sit at 9-12 and 7-6 in conference.