Women’s lacrosse scores season high in 19-13 win over Merrimack; squad suffers loss at Saint Michael’s

Courtesy\Hawks Athletics

Hawks rally together as they break for a moment during the game.

Johnny Norton, Crier Staff

The Saint Anselm women’s lacrosse team defeated Merrimack College on April 12, 19-13. Juniors Emma Palumbo and Erica Mattila combined for nine goals in the win.

All seven attackers scored, with Mattila netting five and Palumbo scoring four. Junior Meagan Sheehy and senior Rachel Henderson each recorded hat tricks, with juniors Maddie Shea and Marta Versprille scoring twice.

Despite Matilla scoring three goals in the first five minutes of the game, the Warriors of Merrimack held a 5-4 lead. After trading goals for throughout the first, Palumbo ignited the offense, scoring three of her own. After a 4-0 run by the Hawks, Henderson and Sheehy scored to extend their lead 12-8 heading into the break.   

After halftime, Merrimack came out to score two quick goals, bringing the game to within two. However, Saint Anselm would go on a 4-1 run, with goals from freshman Breda Holland, Sheehy, Henderson and Versprille to take a 16-11 lead. Shea, Palumbo and Sheehy all scored in the final five minutes to shut the door on Merrimack, 19-13. Palumbo said the key to their offensive attack was, “Keeping possession and taking the right shots.”

Saint Anselm dominated draw controls 23-10, with Palumbo winning eight. Senior Liv Connly lead the defense with two turnovers, while Sheehy and Henderson each forced three turnovers on attack. Junior goalkeeper Zoie Cavotta tallied her fifth win of the season, recording three saves.

With the win against Merrimack the Hawks are now 2-2 in the month of April, after two tough losses to ranked opponents. The team fell to 13th ranked Pace on April 8, despite four goals from Henderson and two from Versprille. Pace outshot the Hawks 37-23, with two players scoring six goals for Pace. The Hawks also fell to the Dolphins of Le Moyne College, who are currently undefeated and ranked third in the country, on April 4. Cavotta made a career high 14 saves, also scooping up four ground balls. Le Moyne rattled off an 8-1, with Matilla netting a free position goal for the Hawks. Henderson and Matilla each forced five turnovers, but the Dolphins would hold on, winning 16-3.

After their win against Merrimack, Saint Anselm had almost a week off. Coach Meagan Smith said the break will be a good time to, “regroup and prepare for our four upcoming games.”  

The Hawks resumed play on Tuesday, April 18 and lost at Saint Michael’s 13-7. Junior Meaghan Sheehy led the Saint Anselm offense with three goals in the contest.

Looking ahead, the team faces a tough schedule, capping off the regular season against number one ranked Adelphi on April 29.

This article was updated to include the results of the Hawks’ loss to Saint Michael’s on April 18.