Football falls to Stonehill in fourth consecutive loss of the season

Johnny Norton, Crier Staff

The Saint Anselm Hawks football team lost to Stonehill 28-14 on Sept. 23.

Senior Linebacker Eric Mercer moved up to ninth in Saint Anselm history in career tackles, making nine tackles for a total of 218 in his four seasons on the team.

Junior wideout Kyle Hill had eight catches for 77 yards and a touchdown, bringing him up to fifth in Saint Anselm history in receiving yards with 1,597 yards in three seasons.

The Stonehill Skyhawks started off the Battle for the Bronze Hawk with a 55 yard touchdown at 1:24 into the first quarter, and never looked back. After a three and out for Saint Anselm, Stonehill added onto their lead with a 7 play, 49 yard drive.

The Hawks would answer at the start of the second quarter, with quarterback Eric Fairweather rushing in a nine yard score to bring Saint Anselm to within seven. Stonehill would throw for another touchdown to extend the lead to 21-7 at halftime.

Sophomore Gabe Elliott would return the kickoff 31 yards, but the Hawks could not score again before the half. The Skyhawks tallied 238 yards of total offense in the first half, while holding Saint Anselm to just seven first downs.

Saint Anselm began the second half with a quick drive, ending with Hill reeling in a four yard touchdown pass from Fairweather. That would be the only score of the third, with both defenses standing strong.

Despite being down by a touchdown, Saint Anselm’s offense could not generate another score. Midway through the fourth quarter, Stonehill would cap off a seven play, 60 yard drive to go up 14.

The Hawks would begin the following drive with two long receptions from Hill for 21 yards and Junior Brian Zec for 10 yards.

However, a 14 yard sack and intentional grounding penalty had the Hawks looking at a third and 39 from midfield. Fairweather would throw an interception on the next play, with 1:40 remaining in the game. Stonehill would run the clock down and claim the Bronze Hawk trophy for the 11th year in a row.

Fairweather finished 16-for-31 in the air, with 139 yards, a touchdown and two interceptions. Fairweather was the leading rusher for the offense, running for 61 yards on 14 carries.

Sophomore linebacker CJ Miller had nine total tackles, while Senior captain Liam Gillis lead the team with 4 solo tackles.

Saint Anselm moves to 0-4 on the year, and 0-3 in games against NE-10 opponents. The team has six games remaining on their schedule, including three home games on Oct. 14 against Assumption, Nov. 4 against Southern Connecticut and Nov. 11 against LIU Post.

Senior defensive lineman Zack Sirowich told the Crier, “Passion and love for the game is what drives us as a team. We are getting better week in and week out, and it’s beginning to show during our games.” The Hawks will travel to Springfield, Ma on Sept. 30 to take on the AIC Yellow Jackets.