Hawks return to the Hilltop to find completely renovated athletic facilities

Dan Flatley, Crier Staff

While Saint Anselm students were relaxing and enjoying their summers on the beach or by the pool, Saint Anselm College Athletics was hard at work, making significant improvements to athletic facilities across campus before their student-athletes and fans returned to the Hilltop.

When the fall sports teams returned to campus, they found the court in Stoutenburgh  completely sanded, refinished, with a new design; the Melucci Field scoreboard replaced; the equipment in Spagnuolo Fitness Center new and improved; as well as updated locker rooms, varsity film room, and a multi-purpose room ready to use at their disposal. These renovations were all possible through a combination of capital project improvements, fundraising projects, and operational plans.

“The majority of the upgrades that we are most excited about were done in the Carr Center. It was a domino effect, because we had a gift to redo the women’s soccer locker room, and we made a decision to purchase lockers that are NCAA-approved for every single locker in the Carr Center. We also installed flat-screen televisions for the teams to watch film, and it looks really good. At the end of this process, the teams have upgraded locker facilities that are year-round and the quality of the lockers are much better. We made one room into a film room with theatre style seating. The seating in this room can fit a whole squad,” said Dr. Steven R. DiSalvo, president of the college. “We were very excited to get this done for the teams.”

Daron Montgomery, athletic director at Saint Anselm College, explained the importance of these updates in regards to student-athlete recruitment, retention, and experience: “The aesthetic improvements and branding are key elements when students and recruited student-athletes visit campus. The new equipment, locker rooms and other upgrades have a huge impact on our student-athlete experience. Hawks student-athletes feel a true sense of pride when the walk the hallways of our athletic venues.”