Women’s lacrosse dominates Southern Connecticut, Sheehy joins 100 club

Johnny Norton, Crier Staff

The Saint Anselm women’s lacrosse team defeated the Owls of Southern Connecticut State University on Mar. 17, 19-8. Senior attacker Meagan Sheehy tallied 11 points in the win, tying the program record for points in a game and reaching the milestone of 100 career points.

Saint Anselm kicked off their Northeast 10 season with a dominating win after trailing 3-1 to start the game. Goals by Sheehy and senior midfielder Marta Versprille just 22 seconds apart knotted the game up midway through the first half. The Hawks never looked back, netting five goals in the next 4:16. Heading into the half, Saint Anselm led Southern Connecticut, 10-7.

The Hawks soared out of the break, scoring the first eight goals of the second half. Sheehy tallied a goal or an assist on six of the team’s eight scores. Defensively, the team held Southern Connecticut scoreless for 30:54 of game time. Senior goaltender Zoie Cavotta recorded eight saves, while also scooping up a team high four ground balls. Sophomore Eleanor Angus netted the first goal of her career, scoring with 14 seconds remaining in the game to seal the win for the Hawks.

This is the women’s lacrosse third straight victory and their first win against Northeast 10 opponents this season. Following two hard fought losses against #11 Mercy and #6 Florida Tech, the team bounced back in a major way. Led by a large group of seniors, this season is shaping up to be Saint Anselm’s best in years. They are currently averaging an impressive 15.20 goals per game, with a save percentage of 41.7%. The team is looking to bounce after finishing with an overall record of 6-11 last season. Four of the team’s leading scorers return for their senior campaign, while Cavotta returns to the net for her final season at Saint Anselm.

Sheehy becomes the 13th student-athlete in school history to reach 100-career points. In her time on the Hilltop, she has scored 70 goals and dished out 35 assists in just 38 games played. After the win, she spoke with the Crier about the milestone and the season ahead. She said, “It was so exciting to get my 100th point and to share the moment with my teammates and especially the other seniors”. Teamwork was at the forefront of her mind, stating, “I’m really proud of how we all work together – I couldn’t have achieved this without a great goalie, strong defenders, success on the draw and great cuts and ball movement from the rest of the offense.” Sheehy looks to continue her offensive barrage in her last season at Saint Anselm.

The team has a tough road ahead, but Saint Anselm seems ready for the challenge. The Hawks battle against #4 Le Moye, #2 Adelphi, #14 Pace and #7 New Haven in the month of April. Although a difficult task, the team looks primed to battle against some of the toughest teams in the country. Their red hot offense and stonewall defense is built for a great season.