Saint Anselm golf competes at Townson Spring Invitational

Devin Bergeron, Crier Staff

Anselm took 14th place as a team out of the 17 school field at the annual Towson Spring Invitational in Grasonville, Maryland. The team shot a combined 74-over par for the weekend with a score of 650.

The two day tournament saw 90 golfers taking the green at the Prospect Bay Country Club. Five golfers competed for the Hawks were seniors Joe Brunelle, Robbie Cole, and Tad Link along with junior Stephen Hunt and freshmen Alec Brunelle.

Collectively the team finished better than they started, after rounding out Saturday in the penultimate spot at 16th. They carded a collective 335 (+47) on day one.

Link led the team the first day, shooting 78 (+6). Following Link in order was Hunt with 85, Cole and A. Brunelle with 86, and J. Brunelle with 88.

Central Connecticut State University carried the top spot into the second day of play with a combined 297 (+9). Luckily the team was able to rally a bit heading into Sunday, improving nearly all across the board.

For the second round the team shot 315 (+27) which was good for eighth in the field for the day. All but Link saw their scoring improve, who only finished a shot behind his first round total at 79 (+7). A. Brunelle lead the team on the day with 78, while J. Brunelle and Hunt joined Link at 79, and Cole rounded out the squad with 84.

For the weekend Link finished tied for 33rd out of the 90 golfers with his impressive 13-over card. A. Brunelle and Hunt joined Link with their two day scores of 164, while J. Brunelle pitched in his 167 to give Saint A’s their 650 total.

The Hawks finished 13 strokes behind Bryant University and seven ahead of Towson (B). St. Bonaventure won the team tournament with a 603 (+27) finish, while the best individual scores went to Kobdech Rodrat of Towson and Matt Subley of Sacred Heart with 147 (+3).

The Hawks’ strong finish, in the primarily NCAA Division I field, is something the team has to be proud of, especially after such a lackluster start to the weekend. Saint A’s improved upon their performance from last year, where they finished 78-over and grabbed 19th place at the 2017 Invitational.

The team will look to carry their momentum into Thursday in Syracuse, New Hampshire, where they will compete at the Mike Bello Invitational at the Bellevue Country Club.