Saint Anselm golf closes out season at Penmen Spring Invitational

Devin Bergeron, Crier Staff

Southern New Hampshire University Penmen Spring Invitational in Concord, New Hampshire.

The Hawks tied for sixth place out of the eight school field with their 46-over total of 622.

The team competed last at the Mike Bello Invitational from April 12-13 where they shot

635(+67) as a team. Junior Stephen Hunt led the team with his two day total of 155 (+13), which

helped land Saint A’s eighth place in the field of 15.

Joining Hunt on the trip to Beaver Meadow Golf Course in Concord on Saturday, were

seniors Tad Link and Joe Brunelle and freshmen Alec Brunelle and Max Ratner. The weekend

got off to a rocky start for the Hawks as they dug themselves into a hole early on. At the end of

round one they sat 28-over, only ahead of Saint Michael’s for the day. A. Brunelle and Hunt

were the leaders for the team, both shooting 76(+4). Close behind with 78(+6) was Link, while

Ratner and J. Brunelle rounded out the team with 86(+14) and 87(+15) respectively. Roberts

Wesleyan College and SNHU left the course Saturday tied on top of the heap at three-over while

Matt Paradis of SNHU took the day with his impressive 69(-3) round one total.

The second round of play went a bit smoother for the Hawks. Trimming down their 316

total from the day prior, the team carded a 306 total on Sunday to finish 18-over for round two.

1. Brunelle once again finished atop the team, shooting an impressive one-over score of 73.

Right behind the rookie was J. Brunelle who cut 13 strokes off his round one total to card a

74(+2), while Ratner picked up a 79(+7) and Hunt and Link both logged an 80(+8).

Unfortunately for Saint A’s, that was only good enough to bump them up one spot from

their penultimate standing, to tie them with American International for sixth for the weekend.

The team finished ten strokes behind Post and 18 ahead of last place-Saint Michael’s. Eric Spitz

of Robert Wesleyan had the best individual mark at three-under and helped his school bring

home the team championship with their four-over total.

1. Brunelle’s team-leading five-over performance tied him for eighth out of the field of

50 golfers. Following him in order were Hunt (+12), Link (+14), J. Brunelle (+17), and Ratner

(+21).

Asked about his team’s performance on the weekend A. Brunelle responded: “I thought

we played well. The seniors had a really strong showing, especially Joe Brunelle on the final

day, to end their careers as Hawks… Unfortunately we just came up short on the final

tournament.” Commenting on his anticipation of next season he continued: “I’m excited.

Unfortunately we are losing a lot of seniors, but we have a couple good recruits coming in so I

think there is a lot of potential for next year.”

The weekend’s tournament wrapped up a rather sinuous season for Saint A’s. The team

found itself at the bottom of the scorecard as many times as on top of it and failed to procure any

long-term stability-a problem they look amend next season.