St. A’s unable to sink their shots, marking sixth loss of the season

Devin Bergeron, Sports Editor

Saint Anselm’s downward trend continued Saturday, falling 1-0 to Adelphi University on the road. The shutout loss now makes it six in a row to start the season, as the team is struggling to put one in the win column.

The Hawks’ most recent loss had been dealt Wednesday when they were also shutout 1-0 at home against Saint Mikes. Junior midfielder Nick Heckt posted three shots on goal while senior goalie Jacob Rostkowski grabbed three saves in defeat.

Heading to New York on Saturday, 0-5 on the season, the team had only mustered up two goals through the first five games. The hope was that the Hawks could come out as the aggressor in this one and finally take their first lead of the season. The Panthers had different ideas, however.

Saint A’s was unable to put up any shots on goal in the first half, while Adelphi pounded Rostkowski with five. The senior held his ground though, and both teams went scoreless in the first half.

It was not until 58 minutes in that the Hawks got their first look at goal. Sophomore-transfer Zach Elliot got his first shot on goal as a Hawk, but unfortunately for him and his teammates, it found the arms of the Panthers’ goalie. Their second and final look came with just over five minutes to play in regulation on a shot from freshmen midfielder Michael Budrewicz, but that too was collected for a save by Adelphi.

In the end, it was a chipped pass turned into a breakaway goal 72 minutes in that was the difference for Adelphi. The one and only goal Rostkowski let up, he was assaulted with ten shots on goal and managed to haul in nine saves, tied for his career best.

Budrewicz’ shot on goal gives him shots eleven for the year, eight of which were on goal. Elliot’s shot marked his third of the year while Rostkowski now has 42 saves on the season.

In addition to their sixth straight loss, the contest also marked the third straight game the Hawks have been shutout. Since sophomore forward Nicholas Guimaraes’ first-half goal against Southern New Hampshire University on September 11, the team has been held without a goal.

Collectively, the Hawks have failed to put themselves in positions to win, getting outshot by their opponents in five of the first six games. Couple that with their .033 shot percentage and it is clear why they have only garnered two goals to this point. Saturday’s 25-4 shot advantage for Adelphi serves as the paradigm of this, and it seems that the further the season gets for Saint A’s, the harder it gets for them to right the ship.

The conference loss makes the team 0-4 in the Northeast-10 thus far and maintains their seats in the basement of the division standings.

Entering treacherous-territory with their season potentially headed down the drains, the Hawks are in need of a win in the worst way. Luckily for them, they just might get their wish when they take on Franklin Pierce on the road Tuesday. Franklin Pierce sits 1-7 on the ledger and is also 0-4 in the NE10.