Hawks come up short once again in close battle against Merrimack

Devin Bergeron, Sports Editors

The nightmare season for the men’s soccer team continued Tuesday, as they fell 1-0 to Merrimack College at Melucci Field. With the loss the team sinks to 0-9-1 for the year, and 0-7-1 in the Northeast-10 Conference.

After dropping the first eight out of the gate, the Hawks were finally able to squeak out a tie at New Haven last Saturday. The Chargers rattled off 20 of the game’s 25 shots, but senior goalie Jacob Rostkowski did his part, picking up six saves and his second career shutout in the 110-minute affair. The only two shots on goal for Saint A’s were from junior midfielder Nick Heckt and freshmen forward Taylor Silverstein.

Breaking up their losing streak, the Hawks were out the frying pan and into fire Tuesday, playing host the reigning NE10 champions Merrimack. Saint A’s would not be one to back down though, and took it to the defending conference champs. After the first half went scoreless, a 79th minute goal for the Warriors put them ahead, crushing the Hawks’ hopes for a miracle upset.  

The game seemed to be anyone’s in the first half, where both teams finished up with five shots on goal. A shot off a redirection from freshmen forward Michael Budrewicz nearly broke the game open in the 21st minute for the Hawks, but was met by the Warrior’s keeper to keep things even.

Unfortunately for home team, the game started to slip away in the second half, as Merrimack came out firing for twelve second half shots, while the Hawks could only muster up four. Paul Magazzu would eventually sneak the winning-goal past Rostkowski at the 78:07 mark for Merrimack.

Rostkowski, who was pestered with nine shots on goal for the game, has to be frustrated with his offense’s lack of production this season. Despite his 66 saves this season, including his eight Tuesday, he has a 0-9-1 record in net to show for it. Through the Hawks’ first ten games, they have only connected for three goals, while posting a deadful .03 shot percentage, as the season looks like it is going to be one to forget for the Hawks.

Looking to grab their first win of the year for the seniors, the Hawks will take on visiting Le Moyne Saturday. The conference matchup will be the Hawks annual Senior Day game.

With the season in its final stretch, and any postseason aspirations out the window, the Hawks will have five games to salvage their lost season and get some positive momentum going towards next year.