Hawks men’s hockey battles back for 3-2 road win against Post

Devin Bergeron, Sports Editor

Saint Anselm men’s hockey battled back from Post goals on two separate occasions Saturday, to pick up the 3-2 victory on the road. The win puts them at 5-3 on the year after the non-conference bout.

Just one night prior, the Hawks and the Eagles played their first matchup of the weekend, with Saint A’s emerging victorious 4-2. Post entered the third period ahead 2-0, but a late surge from Saint A’s secured the dramatic 4-2 comeback win. Junior defender Liam O’Sullivan, junior forward Mike Ferraro, senior defender Kevin Curley, and junior forward Trey Aiello each picked up a goal in the final period, while senior goalie Colin Soucy grabbed 13 saves while securing the win in net.

Post got the scoring started the following night 8:17 into the first period to put the home team on top 1-0. The Hawks would answer back ten minutes later though, when junior forward Chris Googins scored his first collegiate goal for Saint A’s, to knot things up at one apiece. Unfortunately for the visiting Hawks, the game would not remain tied for long, and with just 54 ticks left in the first period, Post snuck one in net to escape from the opening period of play up 2-1.

Saint A’s came out in the second looking to respond, and they would connect on a shot just 35 seconds into the new frame. After a wrist shot from O’Sullivan was knocked down in front of the net, Aiello crashed the right post and tapped the puck through for his second goal in as many days, as the Hawks once again echoed Post’s score, to make the game even again 2-2.

Just under seven minutes gone in the second, Saint A’s would grab their third and decisive goal, off the stick of Ferraro. The star junior was able to get his stick on the puck off a shot from sophomore forward Matt Chisholm, to ricochet it home for the 3-2 lead. Making his second career start in goal, freshmen Michael Soustal was able to take care of business in net from there, to pick up his first collegiate win, to go along with his new career-high 30 saves. Ferraro’s two goals on the weekend give him a team-high four goals for the year.

Saint A’s pounded their opponents in net, barraging them with 48 shots on net while Post got off 32. Post did however hold a sizable advantage in faceoffs, winning 52 of 79.

Looking to build on their two game streak, Saint Anselm will take on the visiting Tufts University back on the hilltop Friday.