Lady Hawks take care of Connecticut College, move up to 15-2-1

Devin Bergeron, Sports Editor

The Hawks women’s ice hockey team collected a 2-1 victory over Connecticut College on Tuesday night in Sullivan Arena in a non-conference game.

The Hawks now improve to 15-2-1 overall with the win, and are now at win number 299 in program history.
Sophomore forward Katy Meehan’s game-winning goal in the second period gave her 50 career points. With her team ahead by a 1-0 margin, Meehan banked a shot from below the goal line off the back of the Camels’ goalie for the 28th goal of her two-year career.

She has reached the 50-point plateau in 45 games, adding 23 assists. She is the team’s leading point scorer this season with 12 goals and nine assists for 21 points.

The teams skated to a scoreless opening frame, with Connecticut going 0-for-2 on the power play and Saint Anselm unable to convert on its only chance.

The visiting Camels had a good opportunity grab control of the game with seven minutes elapsed following a turnover in their offensive zone.

However, the quick wrist shot just ticked off the left post over the right shoulder of Hawks senior goalie Maddie Scavotto.

In the second period, the Camels nearly broke the score with 11:24 left to go but a three-on-two breakout by Connecticut was denied by Scavotto with a left pad save.

After some pressure was put on by the Hawks, they were finally able to break through shortly thereafter.

Freshman forward Kelly Golini battled for the puck in the right corner and found junior forward Kaley Campbell in the slot. Campbell quickly fired toward the lower left side of the net to give Saint Anselm a one goal lead.

Almost two minutes later, Saint Anselm added to its advantage with Meehan’s team-leading 12th goal of the season to put the Hawks up 2-0. Junior forward Jamie Gottwald picked up the assist on the tally.

After killing off a third period penalty, the Camels had finally capitalized on a power play of their own to make it 2-1 with just 2:43 elapsed in the third.

The Camels put four shots on net by the midway point of the period but could not find the back of the net as Scavotto stood tall for Saint Anselm.

The Hawks then turned the pressure on to minimize the chances for the visitors. The Camels pulled the goalie with 1:04 remaining in regulation but could not find the equalizer.

Scavotto made two big saves with 51 seconds left and the Hawks were able to clear the zone.

Saint A’s outshot Connecticut 30-26 in the game while Scavotto finished with 25 saves in her 50th career appearance for the Hawks.

Saint Anselm returns to New England Women’s Hockey Alliance action for a pair of games against the Eagles from Post University this weekend in Shelton, Conn, at the Sports Center of Connecticut.