St. A’s Athletics Hall of Fame set to induct Class of 2019

Devin Bergeron, Sports Editor

The Saint Anselm College Department of Athletics is set to induct its six-member Hall of Fame Class of 2019. Six inductees and one “Special Recognition” will be honored at an induction ceremony and banquet this Saturday, Jan. 26 at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics.

Matt Cahill ’06, Lauren Glancy ’07, Ken Kessaris ’02, Margaret Morin ’91, Kristin Penney ’00, and Kris Tardio ’00 will all join the Saint Anselm College Athletics Hall of Fame, which recognizes student-athletes, coaches, and administrators who have brought recognition to themselves and Saint Anselm College on and off the field.

Don Healy ’60 was chosen as a Special Recognition selection for the Athletics Hall of Fame.

Cahill enters the HOF Class of 2019 as the all time leading scorer for Hawks men’s basketball. Through 119 games, he racked up 2,018 points, averaging 17.5 a game for his four-year career.

Also the all time three point leader, his 321 threes helped lead the Hawks to back-to-back Northeast 10 Conference titles in 2005 and 2006.

He is the only player in team history to earn First Team All-Conference honors three times from the NE10, and collected Male Student-Athlete of the Year as a sophomore.

A four year starter for the Saint Anselm women’s lacrosse team, Glancy earned NE10 All-Conference recognition three out of four years, and was the first Hawks student-athlete to ever crack 200 career points on offense. She was the program’s first ever NE10 Freshman of the Year, and still remains the club’s assist leader with 65.

Kessaris joins the 19’ class still holding a slew of Saint Anselm records for the men’s baseball team, including all-time leader in runs scored (138), hits (203), home runs (37), extra base hits (76), on-base percentage (.473), single-season batting average (.472, 2001), walks (83) and runs batted in (142).

His career batting average of .384 is the second-best in program history and he remains the only student-athlete in team history with 200 career hits. During his Triple Crown season in 2001, Kessaris led the conference with 21 home runs, 69 runs batted in and a .472 batting average.

After leading the nation in slugging percentage and home runs per game that year, Kessaris was an ABCA Third Team All-America selection.

During the late 80s, Morin set the foundation for the Saint Anselm women’s soccer program, becoming the program’s first ever NCAA Division II All-America selection.

She scored 27 career goals and eight assists for 62 points, and broke the team’s scoring record during only her second season. Morin was also a two-time NE10 First Team pick that earned NSCAA All-Region honors twice.

Penney stands as the only two-time NE10 Defensive Player of the Year award recipient for the women’s basketball program.

She leads the team all-time with 275 steals and ranks third in assists with 536.

In 2000, she was picked as Saint Anselm’s Female Student-Athlete of the Year, and earned NE10 Second-Team All Conference honors on two separate occasions.

During her four-year tenure at the hilltop, the team never won less than 15 games a season, and she was part of the 1998-99 team that made it to the NE10 Championship.

She also knocked down the fourth most free throws (320) and sixth most three pointers (128) in team history, and her 12 assists against East Stroudsburg on Dec. 11, 1999 were then the second most assists in a single game in team history.
Tardio captained the 1999-00 Hawks men’s basketball team that won the NCAA Division II East Region Championship and played in the team’s first ever Elite Eight.

He was the fourth-ever NE10 Freshman of the Year pick from Saint A’s, and remains the program’s lone NABC Freshman of the Year selection.

His career high 30 points against Saint Michael’s on Feb. 16, 1999, helped clinch 1998-99 NE10 Regular Season Championship and hand Head Coach Keith Dickson his 250th career coaching victory.

Healy, a native of Manchester N.H, was employed by Saint Anselm for forty years and was named Director of Admission in 1967.

He spent three years on the men’s basketball team and later served as team captain.

An enthusiastic supporter of Saint Anselm athletics, he assisted in the addition and expansion of women’s varsity sports, and his support of intercollegiate athletics was integral to the revival of the football program after a 58-year hiatus.

Before his time at Saint A’s, he served in the United States Army and he later taught at Manchester Central High School.