Sweet Takes: A quick look at mid-winter sports stats on campus

Courtesy/Hunter Newsham

Members of the Women’s Basketball Team line up for the National Anthem

Luke Sugar, Sports Editor

Women’s Hockey

As the only Division 1 program on campus, the Saint Anselm Women’s hockey team is having a solid 2021–2022 campaign. They are 10-11-3 on the season, sitting at 7-5-3 in conference play. The Hawks haven’t backed down from the challenge of being a new D1 program, racking up impressive wins over Dartmouth, Brown and Long Island University. 

“I am super proud to be a part of the Saint Anselm women’s hockey program. Since competing at the Division 1 level, we have continued to grow and improve each day, and I am excited for the future of our program,” said Junior Margaret Sullivan.  

The Hawks are fresh off of back-to-back wins versus Post, completing the season sweep and beating Post four times. In their most recent game, Freshman Tyra Turner led the way with two goals. Now heading into the final stretch of the season, the Hawks look to finish strong with four consecutive home games remaining. 

Men’s Hockey 

The Men’s hockey team secured a massive 6-2 win over Assumption on Saturday February 5. Senior captain, Killian Hammersmith, and Junior assistant captain, Andrew Andary, each netted two goals. Junior Matt Hayes had a goal of his own with two assists and Junior Mark Leach also notched two assists. Junior goaltender Nick Howard stood on his head with 35 saves on 37 shots. The Hawks are now 9-10-2 on the season and 6-5-2 in the NE10 Conference. 

“We know when we play a full 60 minutes, and we play the way we know we’re capable of, we give ourselves a good chance to win every night,” said Andary.

Four out of the last five games are home for the Hawks, who look to close out the season on a win streak. “Our goal in the final stretch is to try and get the highest seed possible for playoffs in the NE10 tournament,” said Junior Chris Lemay. 

Women’s Basketball

The women’s basketball team is a solid 11-10 on the season and 7-7 in a very competitive NE10 conference. The Hawks have handled this season well, bringing in a young roster with a lot of potential. After a few tough losses, the team picked up a huge win over SNHU 79-76 on Tuesday February 8. Fifth-year Senior Peyton Steinman had a historic game  with an unbelievable 43 points, tying the program record.

Steinman and Sophomore Gabby Turco have been a dynamic duo, leading the way for the Hawks this season. Steinman averages 20.7 points per game and Turco averages 16.4. 

“The goal for this last stretch of this season is to just focus on us. When we trust our process, we are unstoppable. Our goal is always the same: to win the NE10 championship,” said fifth-year Senior Jenoyce Laniyan.

Men’s Basketball

The men’s basketball team is an impressive 13-6 on the season and 9-5 in conference play. Fifth-year Senior Chris Paul put on a clinic with 24 points in the Hawks’ 68-58 win over Assumption on Saturday February 5. Fifth-year Senior Gustav Suhr-Jessen recorded a double double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. The Hawks were on a three-game winning streak before a hard fought loss to SNHU on Tuesday February 8. Now the Hawks look to bounce back in their next matchup at Assumption. The team has kept a strong mentality in mind the entire season.

“It’s important to buy in not only on the defensive end but buy into the program and have a strong belief that our coach will put us in the best situations. When we started just worrying about what we have next, whether it’s a game, practice, or anything, that’s where most of our success started from,” said Junior Owen McGlashan.   

This season is no different and the Hawks have high expectations as always. The team’s goal is to win the national championship. 

Andrew Andary takes a shot against Saint Michael’s in a Pink in the Rink game (Courtesy/Hunter Newsham)