Saint Anselm baseball takes three out of four games from Post

Courtesy/Nina Merlonghi

Hawks pitcher, Dylan Bedder, winds up

Benson Furber, Crier Staff

The baseball team headed down to High Point, North Carolina this weekend for a four game series against Post University. 

On Friday, Junior Dylan Bedder took the mound for the Hawks. Bedder would go on to allow two runs on three hits, pitching 6 innings, ultimately earning the win in the contest, his first of the season. Notable hitting came from third baseman Matt Collins, tallying two hits in the contest in four trips to the dish. Collins also scored one of four runs the Hawks would record, helping the Hawks record their second win of the season.

After gaining some momentum heading into Saturday’s doubleheader, Freshman Adam Betty was next to the hill for the Hawks. Post hit Betty well, scoring seven times. However, these seven runs were not near enough to steal the victory from the Hawks. With help from home runs hit by Mike Borelli, Kyle Maurice, Nolan Elmore, and Mike Pierro, the Hawks crossed 15 runs, winning the second game of the series. As a result, Betty earned his first career collegiate victory.

Game two on Saturday and the third of the series was placed in the hands of Junior John Donovan. However, Post came out of the gate, ready to go. Donovan would go on to pitch two innings, followed by Harry MacKinlay and Shawn Morrow, both also pitching two innings. However, the Hawks would go on to lose this game 12-2.

Sunday, the final day of the weekend series, would decide whether the Hawks would win their first series of the season. Coach Jerod Edmundson decided to send Sophomore Matthew Michel out to the bump as the starter. 

Michel would go on to pitch a solid performance, allowing seven hits, hurling six shutout innings. Sophomore Will Hunter and Junior Travis MacMurdo would enter the game. Neither would go on to allow a hit in a stellar pitching performance from the Hawks’ staff. Notable hitting came from first baseman Robert Olah and shortstop Evan Cornwal, each recording two hits in the contest. The Hawks would plate nine runs, winning the series.

Overall, the Hawks moved to three and six on the season. This series was an excellent sign for the Hawks. In previous contests, the bats of Saint Anselm hitters had been relatively quiet. However, this series, especially game two, highlighted the fact that Saint Anselm hitters have a high upside at the plate. Hopefully this series will be a spark as the team gets closer to more NE-10 opponents later in the season.

“I think the bats really started to get hot and our pitchers threw very well this past weekend, so hopefully we can keep riding that into this weekend and the rest of the season,” said Junior Brady Doran.

In terms of pitching, the staff put together their best series yet, recording their first shutout of the season. Coming into the weekend, both the starters and the bullpen had a stagnant start. However, this weekend, the true strength of the rotation was put on display. 

Baseball is a game where keeping a strong mentality is key. Teams and players can go through slumps, as well as get hot in a hurry.

“A big part of baseball is the mental part, so it’s important to just try to be level-headed and keep a positive mindset,” said Doran. 

The Hawks will next take on the Dominican College Chargers, March 12, 13, and 14 at the USA Baseball complex in Cary, North Carolina.

“Our goal for the season is first to win the NE10 championship and then get a chance to compete for a Division II championship,” said Doran.