Saint Anselm women’s soccer starts season strong and looks to keep rolling

Courtesy/Bruce Preston

Senior captain Megan Nguyen passes

Benson Furber, Crier Staff

The women’s soccer team entered this week with a tough three game schedule, heading first to face Franklin Pierce University in Rindge, New Hampshire.

The Hawks, entering with a record of 4 wins and 1 loss, were facing another strong opponent. Franklin Pierce came in with a record of three wins, one loss, and a tie. Much of the first half was a defensive show, with neither side being able to find the back of the net. During the half, 10 shots were taken, but neither side was able to find an advantage and take an early lead.

Once play resumed in the second half, FPU was able to find the back of the net in the 64th minute, taking a 1-0 advantage.In the 88th minute, FPU would score again, taking a 2-0 lead, placing the game out of reach for the Hawks. A major player for the Hawks was Freshman Goalkeeper Emma Hudson, who would notch six quality saves during the ninety minute contest. 

Following the loss, the Hawks looked to bounce back with a tough game against the Le Moyne Dolphins coming into Manchester on a warm Saturday afternoon.

When asked about how important it was to play at home, Senior Goalkeeper Kate Macaluso commented, “Fans really help hype us up on the field and add to the energy of the players working hard.”

After being shutout, the Hawks looked to capitalize on this home field advantage and find the back of the net in the early minutes. This game plan was evident, as Junior Tara McCleary would put the Hawks up one in the third minute.

Three minutes later, Freshman Addie Birkett would find the back of the net for her first collegiate goal, putting the Hawks up two goals very early in the contest. Throughout the rest of the first, defense for both sides would prevail, thwarting every attempt on goal. This would continue for the beginning of the second half as well.

However, in the 74th minute, Sophomore Erin Rutherford would attack the goal, finding Sophomore Faith Lee for the score and giving the Hawks a three goal lead late in the contest. Le Moyne would not walk away empty handed, scoring on a penalty in the 78th minute. Hudson would stop four of six shots on goal in the contest, as the Hawks would cruise to a three to one victory.

When asked about what she thought has been going well and what the team could improve upon, Macaluso responded, “Our strengths on the field would definitely be our ability to win headers and win 50/50 balls. Something recently we’ve been trying to work on is finishing off corner kicks.” 

On Wednesday, the Hawks hosted Saint Michael’s college in more divisional play. The cloudy afternoon would see a phenomenal match between the two NE-10 schools.

In the 21st minute, Sophomore Josie Pecor would give the Hawks the first goal of the game, her third of the season. In a tight defensive game, this would be the only goal scored in the first half. However, early in the second half, Saint Mike’s was able to find the back of the net, notching the game at one goal a side. In the 65th minute, Junior Delaney Glode found the net for the game winning goal, resulting in a 2-1 Saint Anselm victory.

Showing resilience this week, Glode stated, “We all fall together and we all get up together. We take nothing for granted and know we have to work hard to achieve what we want. We all value each other and what we each contribute to the team.”

Overall the women’s Soccer team holds a record of six wins and two losses, posting a two and two record within Northeast-10 Conference play. The Hawks hope to continue the strong start and cruise into the playoffs.