The student news site of Saint Anselm College

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

Hawk Takes

MLB predictions 2024
Courtesy/Wikimedia Commons
Phillies star Bryce Harper looks to propel the Phillies back to the World Series to bring home to the city of brotherly love.

Spring is around the corner, and that also means the MLB season is upon us. With so many major moves that were made across the league, the MLB may be as wide open as ever. I am going to cover 7 bold predictions for this upcoming MLB season.

1. The LA Dodgers get bounced early in the playoffs: We’re going into this one hot. This past offseason the Dodgers made a league changing move by adding Shohei Ohtani on a record breaking contract. On top of Ohtani, the Dodgers also added Yoshinobu Yamamoto to their pitching staff. The two Japanese stars are going to look to propel the Dodgers to a World Series title. However, that’s not happening. Every time the Dodgers have this goliath of a team, they get bounced early in the playoffs. This year will be no different. They’ll lose in a rematch bout against Corbin Carrol and the Diamondbacks. Sorry Dodgers fans.

1. Elly De La Cruz is an MVP finalist: The Cincinnati Reds were once a feared team in the MLB. However, over the better part of the last 15 years, the Reds have been bad, really bad. But this past season, a young prospect was called up and brought the Reds back to life. That man was Elly De La Cruz. Elly is ELECTRIC when he’s on the field. The Reds are no joke anymore now that they have this kid. I am expecting Elly De La Cruz to take it to the next level, with a monster 2024 campaign that ends with MVP consideration.

1. Bobby Witt Jr finally lives up to the hype: Bobby Witt Jr of the Kansas City Royals was a highly sought after prospect. He was taken by the Kansas City Royals and has made steady progress through the first few years of his young career. He has shown flashes to be the next great shortstop and I believe that the 23 year old is poised to finally be the leader, and player he has been expected to be. While I don’t think the Royals will make the playoffs, I expect them to be very competitive with Witt at the helm.

1. Red Sox surprise the league: The Red Sox are a freaking dumpster fire man… anyways the front office don’t seem to care about the team and only care about ticket sales and upping concession prices. They made zero moves and have seemed to have gotten worse by letting Justin Turner walk and trading Chris Sale away for a bag of peanuts. With that being said… GIMME THE SOX TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS AND STUN EVERYONE. This is writing up just like some of the great Sox teams of old. All odds against them, but they have Devers and most importantly… they have Alex Cora. He finds ways to win with whatever he is given. Don’t count the Sox out this season.

1. Mets miss the playoffs… again: The Mets are gonna be the Mets and miss the playoffs again with one of the highest payrolls in the MLB. Not much to say about this.

1. Arenado carries the Cardinals back to the playoffs: The St. Louis Cardinals are one of the most consistent teams in professional sports. However, last year was an anomaly, they missed the playoffs. But, expect the best infielder in baseball in Nolan Arenado to propel the Cardinals back to the playoffs and even into contention. Never bet against Arenado.

1. Aaron Judge breaks his own record: Aaron Judge has been one of the faces of the MLB since he entered the league. From his insane height as well as the sheer power he has at the plate, he has become one of the most dominant offensive forces in the MLB. When he has been healthy, Judge has been undoubtedly one of the top 5 best players in the whole league. He also broke the American League home run record two seasons ago and was on pace for the similar mark last season before getting hurt. I am expecting the whole league to All Rise fo the Judge as he crushes his own record and lead the pinstripes to the World Series.

8. Phillies win the World Series: Everyone is acting like the Phillies are going to struggle to get back to the World Series. Literally why though. They have the most complete team in the whole MLB. And sorry but… when the game is on the line, I want Bryce Harper at the plate. He has proven all of his doubters wrong since he went to Philly. He is clutch. Expect the Phillies to storm through the playoffs and take down the New York Yankees in 6 games to win the World Series. Proving Bryce Harper is undeniably the most clutch player in the MLB.